Finding Alex

I watched Gabby like a hawk as she performed the spell. Once. Twice. Six times. She growled in frustration.

"It's ok Gabs." I put a hand on her shoulder. " You warned me that it might not work."

She stared down at the map of the United States. "It should be working!"

"I know Gabby. Let's take a break. You've been at this for hours." We had missed dinner. "Besides I have detention with Snape." I rolled my eyes trying to pretend I was annoyed.

She gave me a sly smile. "Yeah I bet." Then she winked at me.

I rolled my eyes at her. She nudged my shoulder wiggling her perfect brows at me. I tried to keep my face stern. Damn it Gabby. She just had a way of breaking me down.
"Yes detention. I'll probably be scrubbing cauldrons until midnight."

She threw her hands up in mock surrender. "Whatever you say. I want all the details though when you get back."

I did smile then. "You know it."

I walked into the potions classroom. To my surprise it was empty. It's not like Severus to be late for detention. I wandered aimlessly around the room. Taking in the books, the potions ingredients stacked neatly on the shelves. This really is my favorite place in the castle. Not just because this is where I get to see Severus the most. This is where I could come to just work and clear my mind.

I looked up as the entrance to Severus' quarters opened.

"This way Miss Greyson." He made a sweeping motion inside the door.

I looked at him curiously but followed. Inside was a small living room equipped with a small loveseat, cozy fire place, and a soft green rug on the floor. The back wall was covered in bookshelves that were jam packed with a variety of genres. 

Through a wide entrance way on the right was a small kitchen area.  A table big enough for two people was set with candles. A delicious smell was wafting to me.

I looked to Severus. He didn't say anything just offered me his arm. He pulled out my chair for me. I sat then he took his seat across from me.

I was speechless. This is the most thoughtful thing anyone has ever done for me. There was a lovely shrimp Alfredo already set.

He sat across from me shifting nervously. "Do you like it?"

"I love it. This is the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me." I smiled at him.

His shoulders relaxed a bit. We ate in silence. We glanced up at each other like nervous teenagers.

The Alfredo was delicious. Melt in your mouth kind of good.

"Shrimp Alfredo is my favorite." I smiled finally breaking the silence.

"I'm glad you like it." He smiled back at me. "I meant what I said before about trying."

"Thank you, Severus."

We smiled at each other. We finished our meal enjoying each other's presence.

"Did you cook this?" I cocked my head at him.

He smirked at me. "Surprised?"

I laughed, "A little yeah."

"It's not so different from potions making. My mother taught me most of what I know."

"Your mother? That's awesome." I smiled at him.

"She was an amazing cook. My favorite thing was her summer pudding. I can never get mine to taste quite the same."

"I bet it's still delicious. Will you make me some sometime?"

He smiled at me. "Absolutely."

We moved to the living room. We sat talking for over an hour. The clock chimed ten.  Severus sat with one arm around my shoulder. I laid my head on his. We laughed and chatted about everything.

The clock chimed eleven. Severus sighed. "It's well passed curfew. You should get back."

I sighed. "Yeah I know."

He escorted me the short distance from the potions room to the dorm. 

"Good night Miss Greyson."
"Good night Professor."

The dorm room was empty. "Gabby?"
I called into the empty room.

On Gabby's bed is a map of the area around Hogwarts. In glowing blue letters was Alex's name hovering just outside school grounds in the forbidden forest.

"Gabby?!" I ran into the hall. "Gabby?!"

No answer. Our prefect popped their head out of their door. "What's the ruckus?"
"Get Snape. Gabby is missing!" I ran out the painting. "Tell him to head to the forbidden forest!"

"The forbidden forest?" I heard the prefect call after, but I was to far gone to answer.

Damn it Gabby! Please be ok. Please!

Salazar picked up Gabby's scent faster than I expected. I threw my cloak down to give Fang something to track when the teachers came after us.

"Gabby!" I yelled into the darkness. I could hear the rustling of night creatures not happy about being disturbed. "Gabby! Damn it! Answer me!"

A whimper caught my attention. Salazar heard it to and bolt toward it. Artorias lay on an unconscious body. He was bleeding, but didn't look to be in any life threatening danger.

Gabby had a shallow cut on her head. I checked her plus. She's alive. I breathed a sigh of relief.

"Just a sleeping spell. She'll wake up soon." I turned at the sound of Alex's voice.

"What are you doing Alex? First you attack me, now Gabby? What has gotten into you?" I clenched my fists at my sides.
"She found me. I should have killed her honestly." He shrugged.
"Killed her?!" My eyes flashed crimson.

"She is just a filthy half breed after all." He gave me a wicked grin. "But you know all about what that's like don't you? Soul reaper."

I bared my fangs. "Damn right I do. I saved you Alex. I gave you a safe place. Why? How could you turn your back on the people that care about you?!"

"Saved me?!" He snarled. "You let me turn into a monster!"

"Me?!  How about your parents! You remember! The ones who tied you to that tree in the middle of that werewolf's territory!" I took a step toward him. "I wanted you to live Alex! Because I care about you! I did everything I could to help get you through!"

I was yelling. Some small voice in my head was trying to tell me it's not what it appears to be. I'm so angry. How could he of all them be the one to betray me.

He gave me a sad smile. "I can't ask you to understand Princess. Just know that I'm doing what I must. They promised."

"They're never going to love you Alex. It's going to go back to the same thing. They're going to use you then they're going to go back to beating you if they don't kill you that is." I said sadly taking a step back.

I had to admit defeat. Getting Gabby help was more important no matter how badly I wanted to drag him kicking and screaming back to the school.

"Ira! Miss Winters?!" I heard Severus and several other voices calling.

I looked Alex in the eyes. "We're here!"

He smiled at me knowingly and apperated.