Christmas shopping

"What do you normally do for Christmas?" Molly looked at me over her plate of fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and green beans.
"Oh." I shifted in my seat. "I don't usually do anything. I go here yonder and about." I waved my hand dismissively.

"You don't celebrate Christmas?!" Several voices came at me at once.

"Not even decorations?" George asked me.
"I mean there might be some in the attic if someone is feeling adventurous." I shrugged.

"I have some errands to run so you all will have the house to yourselves for the day." I got up to go.

To my surprise Severus followed me. We hadn't spoken more than a word or two in three days.
"Up for a mugglish adventure?"
"Anything to get away from that." He waved his hand toward the dining room door.
"I understand completely." I smiled at him. "Let's go on an adventure."

The silence in the car was a little awkward. Neither of us really knew where so start a conversation at. Silence doesn't normally bother me, but I had a feeling he wanted to say something but didn't know how to go about doing that.

"Where are we going?" He shifted in the passenger seat.
"The mall. I hate them honestly, but it's going to be the best place to get everyone something before Tuesday."
"A mall?"
"It's sort of like diagon ally, but all in one building."
"I see." He nodded his head.

"Severus. I'm sorry about the other day."
"Sorry? Did it displease you?"
"No? But it seemed to displease you. I occasionally forget some people don't just fuck n run."
He slid his gaze from the windshield to me. "It wasn't that. It's just the woman from the photo." He sighed. "I loved her. I loved her with all my heart."

He was silent a moment. "When she started dating James I grew jealous that she wasn't spending as much time with me. Even though I had already started pushing her away. I was hanging around the wrong kind of people. People who hated her just because she wasn't a pure blood." He folded his hands in his lap twiddling his thumbs. "I confessed my love for her, but I had let the pure bloods brainwash me. I was arrogant. When she denied me I thought it was because she thought as a pure blood I was to good for her. I realize now how wrong that was, but still. I called her something awful. She never spoke to me again. I never got a chance to tell her she was right all along. I never got a chance to tell her that shortly after that I started spying for Dumbledor." A single tear ran down his face.
"I'm such a lowly human that I tried to bargain her life for the life of her son." He put his head in his hands shaking it no back and forth.

"Severus. That's been nearly sixteen years ago. You can't change the past, but if you want to honor her memory. Try being the person she thought you were. The friend you were before."
"I don't know if I can." He looked so lost.
I reached over and gave his hand a small squeeze. "Maybe not, but there's always room to become a better person."
He gave me a tentative half smile. "Thank you Mea principesa."

"Your Princess?" I winked.

I took a left before we got to the end of the drive. Severus looked at me quizzically.
"I want to show you something."

I had this road carved out shortly after purchasing the house. I had been out exploring its fifteen hundred acres when I came across the lake. The water was  so crystal clear you could see straight to the bottom of it. It was surrounded by bright forest. You could spot just about any type of wildlife if you knew the right times to go. Right now it should be pretty well empty.

I stopped in a small clearing just big enough the turn my truck around in. "Come on. We walk from here."

The path is narrow and not very well laid down.  Normally I wouldn't make this track in converse and a skirt. Severus followed close behind.

When we reached the end a short distance later I stretched my arm towards the like. "Welcome." I said softly.
"It's lovely." He looked at me still a little confused.

I walked over to two large oak trees standing sentinel next to the lake. He followed suite. There was an extra large hammock just big enough for two people swaying slowly between them.

I laid on the hammock. "This is where I come when I need to rethink my life choices." I patted the hammock for him to come lay next to me.

"It's the most peaceful place on the property."

He laid next to me leaving one foot on the ground so he could rock us gently.

We said nothing. Both of us lost in our own thoughts.  He was so warm against my side.

At some point I must have drifted off to sleep. When I woke up we were still rocking gently. I yawned looking up at him. He smiled down at me kissing my forehead.

"Enjoy your nap?"
"I did." I grinned.
"Good." He reached over to brush a stray piece of hair from my face.
"We should probably get the shopping done."

I groaned. "Yeah I suppose you're right."

I got Hermonie a book. Harry a glasses care kit. Ron a box of sweets. I got Fred a magician magic set. Of the muggle variety naturally. I figured he would find some way to put it to use. I got George a copy of genius book of world records pranks addition. That should keep both twins busy for a while. I got Ginny one of those stuffed animal things that looks all cute then suddenly turns scary.

Severus' gift was being delivered by owl. For Gabby I got two things. The first a new tag for Artorias with her info on it. Two: the largest makeup kit I could find. It even came with a little book that gives you ideas and steps for things she's never tried before.

"I hate Christmas shopping." I declared as Severus and I headed back to my place.

He smirked at me. "I couldn't agree more."

I stashed all the presents in the garage. I'd ask one of my staff members to wrap them later. Cause frankly I suck.

We walked into the ballroom. There was a Christmas tree that nearly touched the fifteen foot ceiling. It was decorated with white lights, glass globs of every color, tacky Christmas green and red ribbon. Honestly it was adorable. I hadn't seen anything quite like it before.