Discovered

Severus wasn't back for class at the end of the day. As his new assistant that task fell to me.  The students seemed to enjoy it. I had a little bit more patients with their mistakes. Although a few of them were just hopeless.

Malfoy tried to start shit. He was quite surprised when I tested our potion of the day on him. I'm sure he tried to tell me "wait until my father hears about this!" but unfortunately for him; his vocal cords  wouldn't be working for at least two hours. Maybe we would all get lucky and his head would explode.

Neville Longbottom showed great potential. He primarily just needs to work on his confidence. He seemed surprised that he was able to brew the potion with some gentle direction. I'd have to talk to Severus about him when he gets back.

I skipped dinner. I was still sitting at Severus' desk grading papers when the door to his chambers opened behind me. I looked up a little startled by the sudden sound. He looked equally surprised.

Worse actually. His hair was a mess, clothes askew, most the color was drained from his face. The curio curse. My father always kept a witch around that could use it.

I rushed to his side. "Are you alright?"

He placed a hand on my shoulder. "I'm fine. You however aren't safe."

"Me? I'm more worried about you." I grabbed his arm.

"Come. We need to talk with Dumbledore."

I was getting sick of seeing the headmaster's office. It never brought anything but bad news. To be frank. I hated it. Right now I hated the man sitting in it. Severus was in this shape because he's spying for Dumbledore.

I sat quietly as Severus explained what had happened at the meeting. I was right about the faction rising again. This time however, they took the initiative. My father already made an alliance with Voldemort. I ran a hand over my face. He knows. Severus had looked so scared and broken when he told us. The dark lord knows what I am.

"He'll come after you." Severus looked so scared.

"I know." I placed a hand on his shoulder. "I'll be ok. When he asks, you have to take me."

"No!" His eyes filled with tears.

I whipped them away. "You must." I looked at him desperately. "For both our sakes. Severus please."

He gave a defeated sigh nodding his head. It wouldn't be easy. That much I knew. I wrapped my arms around him. He hugged me tightly.

"I'm sorry Severus."

He nuzzled his face into my hair. "Don't be."

Dumbledore excused us. Severus and I headed toward his quarters. I wanted so badly to hold. To be able to comfort him. Nothing would make this better.  Having to hide my affection made it worse. 

I didn't immediately leave when we got to the potions room. I made a pain tonic as well as a sleep potion.  He took them with no argument.

"Lay with me?"

"Of course."

He put on a pair of silk pajama bottoms. I studied him from the other side of the room. He was bruised from his time under the curse.  A few small cuts would turn into new scars. New nightmares.

I laid my head on his chest. His heart beat was strong and steady. He stroked my hair lost in his own thoughts. Soon the sleeping potion had done its job.

Severus snored softly. I carefully slipped from the bed. Quiet as a mouse I slipped into the class room, out into the hall, and into my dorm room.

"Where have you been?!" Gabby snapped from the dark room.

"I had to take over Professor Snape's duties while he was out."

"It's nearly midnight Princess." Artorias shifted next to her.

"Ok?"

"Sorry." She sighed. "I was just worried is all. I was afraid you had gone after him."

"No. Snape came back with some bad news. We were with Dumbledore discussing it."

"Came back? Back from where?"

"I can't explain right now Gabs, but I promise one day I will tell you everything."

He looked at me hard. "Alright Ira. I trust you."

We sat up for an hour talk. I told her everything that was going on between Severus and I. Honestly I'm surprised our prefect didn't come yell at us for being to loud when she squealed.

"Gabs. Tomorrow I need you to tell me what happened in the woods."

She wrapped her arms around Artorias. "I know."

"I won't let anyone hurt you Gabby. Not even Jason."

She gave a little laugh. "Good night Ira.

"Good night Gabby."