Chapter 4

I skeeted out the class, not without thanking Mr. Brunner, which you should always do no matter how much you don't like the teacher. I was heading for my rundown Toyota, blue of course. I had left it here last night because there wasn't parking close to our apartment. I was just opening the door when I realized, nope you don't get to go home you have swim practice. I sighed, hoping coach wouldn't be mad at me. I did my fair share of swimming and hell, I was the captain, Coach could forgive a little tardiness from the best guy on the team. Hopefully.

I ran to the locker room and quickly changed into my swimsuit in record time. I saw that they had just started warm-ups so I was just going to pop in and join them. Just when I thought I was home free, Coach spotted me and stated in an amused tone.

"Jackson, so nice of you to join us. So, what made you so late?"

"I-I forgot" I responded cringing, sure she would make me do some sort of extra workout for missing part of practice but surprised when she started laughing.

"Yo-you forgot?"

"Yeah."

"Get in the pool Jackson." She ordered, her gaze full of amusement.

I was happy to say that it was a normal swim day, well, normal for me. My mom always said I was like a dolphin when I was swimming, fast and energetic. We some laps, perfected form and making us faster until we were done. I was just climbing out of the pool and to the walking to the locker room Coach called to me.

"Don't think I've forgotten your tardiness Jackson, I have something special planned for you tomorrow."

"Sure thing Coach!" I yelled back, giving her a thumbs up.

After I had changed into my other clothes I made my way to the exit so I could leave for real this time but when I heard singing in the choir room, which wasn't that strange, something about the person's voice was simply magical.

Intrigued I quickly made my way to where I had heard the singing. Peeking around the corner I saw that the auditions for the annual school were being held. Outside of the choir room, there were at least 10 people waiting to audition. Believe it or not Jason, Frank and Leo were there. I tried to move so they wouldn't see me but it looks like luck wasn't on my side today.

"Hey, Percy! Come over here!" Jason called when he saw me trying to escape. In hindsight, it probably would've been better if I had not moved then Jason probably wouldn't have seen me but that was before, everybody always says 'the older you are the wiser you get'. I walked over anyway, I couldn't see any way I was getting out of this awkward conversation.

"Hey bro. What are you doing here?" I responded in a completely 'chill' tone

"We're auditioning for the Cinderella. I mean not Cinderella 'cause well, we're guys, but I'm auditioning for the King because I'm just so manly." At the last word, he puffed out his chest and mimed he had a crown on his head. I tried to keep a straight face but Leo was imitating Jason behind his back. Frank was trying not to laugh because Jason looked so stupid imitating a King, but also he also looked regal. If I was a girl I would totally be hitting on him but I'm not, Jason is my bro. 

"Cool." I grinned as I started to turn away but Jason grabbed my and said.

"Hey, why don't you try out too they have plenty of extra room for you to audition. Besides that hot new girl is auditioning too, what's her name?"

"Annabeth" I mumbled, a little embarrassed, because thinking about her made me blush a little bit.

"Sorry, what did you say?" Jason asked.

"Annabeth, her name is Annabeth." I said, this time loud enough for everyone to hear me.

"Okay since you're obviously too chicken to ask her out, how about instead audition for the musical."

"Fine, only because it'll get you off my case."

"Deal."

"So, now what? I just go in and sing something?"

"I guess you'll find out right now. Have fun!" With that Jason gave me one final shove through the choir door.

"Wait, what?!"

736 words