Chapter 12

23rd February, 2019

Dressed in his night suit and wiping a towel on his damp hairs, Shumail walked out of the bathroom to find Eram making the bed. A smile appeared on his lips seeing her as he tossed the towel aside on the couch and walked to a drawer and pulled out the small jewellery box that he specially had it made for her. It was a small infinity pendant studded with diamonds that he wanted to give her and he thought it was perfect time.

Walking to her, he stood right behind her as he was about to speak up when Eram turned around colliding with his chest. Finding him right in front of her, with no distance between them, she was startled for a second as she tried to step back in haste. A shriek left her lips as her leg slipped and wanting to stop herself from falling she held Shumail's tshirt, pulling him with her too. It happened in the spur of the moment that Shumail couldn't steady himself and resulted in falling along with her on the bed with a thud.

They both let out a groan as they fell, as Shumail pulled back from her a little, supporting his weight on both of his hands placed either side of her head. His eyes landed on her face and her eyes, which she had pinched tight shut due to fear, met his as soon as she opened them. He was left speechless and she was left surprised, her eyes widened, due to their close proximity.

Shumail seemed to get out of the trance he was captured in, as she blinked her eyes, as he immediately moved back, clearing his throat awkwardly.

"You wanted to say something?" Eram asked as she sat up. Shumail, who was sat on the bed keeping some distance between them, turned to her as he forwarded his hand in which he held the jewellery box. Eram took the box from him as she flipped the lid open, her eyes going wide a second time when her gaze landed on the beautiful pendant.

"This is for me?" Eram asked in astonishment, blinking her eyes a few times in awe.

"Nope! Was asking your opinion whether I could gift this to my secretary!" Shumail answered sarcastically, giving her a tight lipped smile as she gave him a sideway look. She closed it and silently placed it back on the bed and slided it towards him, making him look at her in disbelief.

"Don't tell me you didn't get my joke? Of course it's for you! Why are you returning it back?" Shumail asked raising his eyebrows at her as she shook her head.

"No it's not that! I just don't feel like it.." Eram answered unsure.

"Don't feel like it?" Shumail repeated her words giving her a 'you-kidding-me' look. "Why may I ask?" Shumail raised an eyebrow at her.

"Shumail..." Eram began fidgetting with her fingers, her gaze fixed on her lap. "I don't want you to spend so much money on me."

"You kidding me!" Shumail exclaimed. "You're my wife! If not on you then should I be spending on my secretary!"

"I respect your feelings but I don't feel good seeing you spend so much on me." Eram said in a meek voice, almost in a whisper and if Shumail wasn't sitting beside her then it would have left unheard.

Shumail let out a huff as he stood up and turned to her standing right in front of her. She slowly lifted her gaze and looked at him who held her by her shoulders and made her stand. He turned her around but she turned back to him again, giving him a confused look with her eyebrows knitted together.

"What are you doing?" She asked but he didn't bothered answering her as he turned her around again and ordered her to stand still. He took hold of the jewellery box as he took the pendant from it and tossed the box back on the bed.

"Shumail. I really.." She began to object but he didn't let her complete as he silenced her by placing his forefinger on her lips. Her words immediately died down as she kept looking at him, blinking her eyes continuously. He turned her around again and this time she was too stunned to object. She had her dupatta placed on her head as he removed it, placing it on one shoulder. He hesitated for a second before bringing his hand forward and putting her hairs on one side as he brought the pendant around her neck and hooked it secure.