Chapter 22

16th Sept, 2019

Longing was the word, Shumail could best describe his feelings with. His friends that were his life, he didn't even try to meet them or at least be in contact with them, for one whole year. He went away from them, changed his contact number, stopped checking mails, as if he practically deleted himself from their lives. All that because of just one incident.

He didn't know what he should think himself of. An idiot? A fool?

Even after knowing everything, he still ended up falling for that innocent face of the only girl that dared to mess with his life so beautifully, though just because of a plan but she still ended up entering his life and changing it drastically. It was just a facade but not only his, her heart too began to beat for him, and they both fell for each other, hard.

They both knew well enough that they both would have to separate ways sooner or later, but they could do nothing in the matters of hearts. They were helpless.

Guess that's why they not only ended up hurting each other but themselves too?

Shumail sighed unable to get control over his emotions. Returning back to Toronto after almost a year, his emotions were all over the place. He was reminded of the situations and those conditions because of which he had left the country and returning back felt overwhelming. Still putting aside every thought, he put on a broad smile as he took hold of his bagpack and threw it over his right shoulder casually and holding onto his small of a suitcase, he began walking out of the airport.

He had just exited when his eyes landed on his friends who were awaiting his arrival and upon noticing them, he felt his eyes moisten. He began taking quick steps and upon noticing him coming, Zaid was the first to run his way only to land a punch on his jaw out of anger. Shumail's head fell to the side and Zaid immediately caught his arm when he lost his balance.

"Do you have any effing idea what you did? To us?" Zaid's anger knew no bound. "What on earth where you thinking when you casually decided to walk out of our lives! You don't care a single percent about us, do you?"

Shumail opened his mouth to speak but Zaid cut him off as he said, "Not a single excuse I want!" Zaid's anger filled gaze made Shumail shut his lips tight as he pressed them in a thin line.

Shumail's gaze travelled to Shahmeer and Aahil who were standing a step back from where Zaid stood as he looked at them for help, but their gazes were filled with hurt and anger too. How else were they supposed to react!

"I'm...sorry." Came an apology in a mere whisper from Shumail.

"Wow!" Zaid exclaimed. "A sorry and an year long punishment should be forgotten, right?"

"I wasn't in my senses. I had to go away in order to not let my wounded self harm my loved ones." Shumail said, trying to get a hold of himself as he tried his best to keep his voice stable.

"You idiot!" He exclaimed as his fist went up to hit him again and Shumail's eyes closed on instinct but Zaid just couldn't bring himself to hit him again and instead, holding Shumail's hand he pulled him and wrapped his hands around his neck, hugging him tightly. Zaid wasn't ready to pull back, he missed him so much. Unknowingly his tears spilled and Shumail's eyes were shedding tears too as his hands went around Zaid's back and wrapped while he rested his head on his shoulder, finding comfort after what felt like an eternity.

"Meri drama queen. Tujhe aadat hai na sab akele sehne ki! Kyu tu hamesha sari taqleef akele jhelta hai!" Zaid complained, pulling back from the hug as he wiped Shumail's tears with his thump before he wiped his own cheeks.
(My drama queen. You always keep everything to yourself! Why don't you ever share your problems!)