Chapter 23

7th Oct, 2019

That feeling, as if your world is falling apart, crumbling into pieces and where you find yourself helpless, is what Shumail was feeling in that moment.

As the time ticked, Shumail's heartbeat increased. Having the lifeless body of his wife in his arms, as he impatiently sat in the car to reach the hospital, he was feeling like his entire world was breaking apart slowly. His forehead was covered in sweatbeads and his breath was harsh, but keeping aside his fear of accident and blood which he developed after the accident of his parents, he focused on Eram who lied in his lap covered in blood.

It was now that he was holding her in his arms that he realised that she was burning with fever, as he kept trying to keep her conscious by tapping on her cheeks continuously and letting her know that he was with her.

"Eram please open your eyes." He begged as he tapped on her cheeks again. "Look I'm back. I'm not going to leave again." He whispered in a soothing manner but every word went unheard. "Please open your eyes." His voice was filled with guilt and apology, most of all it was worry of losing her. His hands were trembling and he didn't know what he should do to bring her to conscious.

Having her lifeless body in his arms, covered in blood, was when he realised that he couldn't let go of her.

However she had entered his life, whatever circumstances made them meet each other, even after everything that they went through, she held a place in his heart. It beats for her.

"Shumail." A faint whisper sounded and he was immediately attentive to her. She was badly injured and heavily bleeding which Shumail was trying his best to stop but nothing was helping.

"I'm here." He assured as he moved her hairs back and caressed her head. Her hijab was badly messed up and all soaked with her blood. "I'm right here. Keep talking to me. Don't close your eyes."

"Shumail." He hadn't ever thought that in a situation and condition like her, she would call out his name. Her faint whisper of his name was tugging at his heart and he felt himself all broken and lost.

"Yes say. Don't close your eyes." He whispered soothingly. "We'll reach hospital in just a moment. Keep talking to me."

She let out a groan of pain, her tears rolling down the side of her eyes, vanishing in her hairs. "It hurts." She managed to whisper.

"I know but just hang in there for a few more moments. We're almost there."

"Here." The way she tried to move her hand, he felt how painfull it was for her but when she pointed at her heart, he felt as if he was hit with lightning. Her painful whisper of words tugged at his heart and hit him hard. She was trying to say something more but he silenced her, not wanting for her to bear more pain.

"Stay calm. It's alright. Don't stress yourself more." He spoke caressing her hairs, and pressing his scarf at the wound on her head to stop the bleeding.

"Please.." It took great efforts to bring herself to say the words. She was feeling excruciating pain in her whole body but that pain felt much less than what her heart was going through. "..please don't leave ...me." Her eyes began to drop again and she could barely keep them open.

"I'm not going to leave you. I promise." Shumail said with all honesty. "Don't speak. Don't stress yourself. Just keep looking at me. Don't close your eyes." He was losing his sane. "Please drive quickly." He requested to the person driving the car.

"If this is what my fate is, if this is how I bid farewell to you, then please.." She broke into sobs which turned into groans of pain. "..Please forgive me for whatever I did, whatever I made you go through. Please!" She tried to bring her hand up to his face but her strength gave away as it dropped down. "Please.." Her faint whisper of plea went unheard by him as her eyes closed and she fell back into unconsciousness. The car stopped in front of the hospital the exact moment with a screeching sound of the tyres and Shumail quickly opened the door, and holding her in his arms, he moved out and made a run for the entrance of the hospital.