love the money

Omniscient

Cherry Gardens, Jamaica

Paradise looked herself over in her vanity mirror; smiling warily at her reflected appearance. Tonight would be the night she secured her unwanted future.

From the time she had worn pull ups straight up until the moment she stood in; the girl had been trained and groomed for this day. 

One which would change her life forever.

"Dise."

Paradise sighed heavily when she heard her father call her name; knowing the time had come, yet she still wasn't the slightest bit prepared. Still though, the woman begrudgingly forced herself to open her room's door, the plain white wall in front of her becoming the most interesting thing as she stared at it; thinking:

Was this really what she wanted? To be joined in a union with someone she knew nothing about.

"Come nuh pickney, our guest have arrived!" The moment she heard her mother's voice at the bottom of the spiral stairs, Paradise descended.

Her coffee brown eyes were fixated straight  , head high, and shoulders back, just as her mother had taught her, eons before.

Her parents looked on in admiration, in laws in awe, while her soon to be husband; the one that mattered the most looked; annoyed

Her parents looked on in admiration, in laws in awe, while her soon to be husband; the one that mattered the most looked; annoyed. As if he were the only one who spurned  their current situation, or solely he would be the person throwing his life away to please their parents.

"Wah yuh 'posed' to say when yuh enta lickkle girl?" Paradise's eyes shifted, seeing her mother's expression change.

"Good evenin." Her voice came out unusually low, as she reached the last of the fifteen steps leading to the group. The Carter couple greeted the girl, and everyone's eyes shifted to Zebediah who stood completely engrossed in his phone, as if it were the most paramount thing.

Isaiah gave his son a slight nudge as he looked towards him with gesturing eyes, figuratively saying every word which needed to be verbalized in that moment.

The male sighed glancing up for the first time since he had arrived, before stuffing his hands in the front of his slacks, allowing a huff to escape his parted lips.

"Sup?"

Paradise smiled small, returning his gaze, before following her parents into the expertly decorated dining room. She waited for a while to see if her suitor would gallantly wait her, as she had been trained, but he never came, leaving the woman to soak herself in both her designated seat and a metaphorical lake of disappointment.