introduction

The crypt doors of the castle creaked open and the one and only Prince of Darkness quietly walks in. The brim of his teal hat bounces with each of his steps and his worn pink scarf trails behind him. He travels up the turret of his castle into his room, and reaches for a journal with a navy blue cover with the name "RALSEI" carved in on top and a black pen sitting beside it. He opens to a blank page and writes,

Dear diary,

You were my only companion for my whole life. My whole life, until today. I met someone very special. Well, two special people. But one in particular I noticed, has never left my side the whole time I was with them. Aside from disappearing into the trees for a few minutes. Their name is Kris. They didn't talk much. They weren't very expressive either, but I tried my hardest to make them happy, and make sure they wouldn't hurt anyone. Before they left, I think, maybe, they just wanted to stay a little longer. Their friend, too (Her name is Susie. And I'm surprised I got through to her). Kris hugged me four times when I trained them a little after we met. It didn't make me uncomfortable. In fact. I was flattered. Maybe more than that. Or that was because it was the first time anyone had touched me since I was a small child. I wish they hugged me before they left. After their final words, it looked like they wanted to hug me again one last time. But what would I know? I've never been around anyone in so long. I hope I get to see them again. It's only been a few hours and I miss them already. There's still so much I want to show them.

Truly yours,

Ralsei

The entry alone covers three pages, and the ink leaves a smudge on the side of his hand, but he doesn't mind. He sighs to himself and looks out the window. There's nothing but darkness, like always. It seems, though, in the Lighteners' company, the darkness of his everyday world didn't seem so dull.