5 - Tea for Three

The mage stepped backward out of the curtain holding two saucers each under a cup of steaming peppermint tea. The cups were completely different, one a small, dainty ceramic teacup, the other a blue steel mug. Strangely, though, the saucers were the same. He handed Ralsei the smaller one, of course, then sat down in an old purple chair in the middle of the room, across from a green one that looked just as worn.

"Sit down, prince."

Ralsei sank down into the cushion of the green chair, and tried to stay perfectly still, afraid of spilling the hot tea. The mage chuckled. "Don't be afraid of the chair, Ralsei."

The young prince glanced up at him. "You said my name!"

"Yes, well, I figured it was about time to address you casually. Is that alright?"

"I was...actually waiting for you to call me by my actual name."

"Hah. Well, you don't have to worry about that anymore."

Silence. Well, near silence. The young prince turned toward the other curtain when he heard scuttling.

"He makes quite a racket, doesn't he?"

Ralsei nodded.

"What's the matter? You look worried."

"I...overheard you past the curtain while you made our tea."

The cat's ears perked up. "You did?"

"Yes. And you- he- doesn't have to hide from me. I'm- sure we can get along now. From what I heard." He turns back to the curtain. Underneath, there are two glowing white dots.

"Well, even now, this land is crawling with Card Kingdom knights, and I have to keep him hidden so he won't get jailed again, or worse, executed." The mage looked down at his mug and tasted the tea, then closed his eyes.

"That's no way to live." The prince empathized.

"I know." The voice came from the other side of the room. "But it's better than that rotten cell." It lamented.

"You can- you can show yourself to me. It's okay!" Ralsei announced, then turned forward again and touched his lips to the rim of the teacup. It's still too hot. He looked up again, and the pale blue creature is standing across from him, next to Seam's chair. Jevil is a lot bigger than he remembered. He still looks shorter than the prince, but not by much. His outfit is different, too, instead of black and purple, it's beige, pastel red and dark pink, but structurally looks the same.

"You look different." 

Jevil smiled brightly, with joy instead of intent to invoke terror, even if his pointed yellow teeth didn't show that. "Hee hee! I got my old outfit back. Really takes us back, too!"

Seam nods. "I made that outfit for him when we performed together."

"So." Ralsei starts. "Was Jevil your...your partner?"

"Partner? Romantic partner? Not at first, obviously, but yes! I told you about that, but never said his name."

The words made Jevil flush a deep blue and perk his thin tail up. "Why did you just tell him? You know how I, I feel about this!"

Seam smiled and laughed. "Well, no use hiding anymore. But your tea's getting cold."

"Right, right!" The blue creature slinked back under the curtain faster than you could say "chaos."

Seam cleared his throat. "So how are things going with this friend of yours?"

Ralsei looked down at his tea. It must be cool enough to drink now, so he takes a sip. It's minty and sweet, just how he likes it, but how did Seam know how he likes his tea? This was a question for another time.

"Their name is Kris. And things are going...steady. Other than they had to leave for a week. I...still haven't told them about my feelings. I know I should, but I just don't know the right time."

"So your feelings for them have gotten stronger."

The young prince closed his legs together and pressed his arms to his sides, making him look smaller, then noticed his face is getting warm. "A lot, actually."

The mage smiled in sympathy. "Well, tell them before it's too late."

Worst case scenario, Kris confesses to Susie instead of him. Ralsei isn't the jealous type, so he's never thought of that situation before now.

"Well I...don't want to freak them out and confess right when they get back."

"Smart thinking." Seam took a long drink. "Now think about if they confessed to you first."

The scene fills Ralsei's mind. He imagines Kris uncovering their candy apple eyes under a scarlet tree and saying the words. He accepts and they make that smile he loves so much and gives him a hug. Maybe a kiss.

"Ralsei. Are you alright?"

"Hm? Yes, I'm okay. I was just...thinking about Kris confessing first."

"That's the face and the words of somebody in love."

"I know."

"Finish your tea, young one. Our visit must come to an end."

Dear diary,

I met with Seam again today. He made us tea, and I found out Jevil is living with him now. They were partners back in the day too, and I suspect they are even now. Jevil has changed, though, he's not sporadic and terrifying anymore, he's more now like someone I can trust talking to and even play a game with. Seam and I talked more about feelings. He said I should confess to Kris before it's too late, meaning before they fall in love with anyone else. But I still don't know when would be the right time. (The tea was great, though. It was made just how I like it.) 

Dazed and confused,

Ralsei.