11 - King and Quing

It was dim inside the shop. There were no lights other than the lanterns behind the desk, and it was assumed all Kris wanted to do was relax. They were very still, (while being slumped down in that chair doesn't look very comfortable) and occasionally their breathing was slightly audible. The young prince wondered what could be on their mind. Today must have been stressful, or difficult in some way, considering Susie isn't here. This isn't like her, right? Normally she would be the one more excited to visit than Kris is, but obviously now that has changed. This didn't seem like the right time to ask, if Kris is trying to get this off their mind. Now though, they seem so calm. Sure, they were expressionless during their adventure and only showed to be not devoid of emotion after the fact, but they always looked so focused, determined, even. Looking at them now, Ralsei could tell the difference. All the stress they may have felt before must have diminished.

Wait. Had they fallen asleep?

If so, Ralsei would just let them rest. Who knows how much they need it. At the same time, if Seam walked in right now, this would be more awkward than if they were awake and talking. The old mage would probably understand, he thought, but it would be just strange if Ralsei was left to watch their human counterpart sleep until Seam returns.

He leaned over toward them. "Kris." He whispered, trying to stay quiet enough not to startle them, but loud enough to actually hear him. After waiting for them to stir, he whispered their name again, but more sternly.

He glanced at the front of the shop, then again at Kris. He didn't want to possibly rudely awaken them by tugging on their cape, so he stood up and kneeled by the chair. He's close enough to Kris that his face started to feel warm like it always does when they're this close. He notices he can see their eyes behind their hair at this distance, close enough to see every one of their eyelashes. They look so beautiful, even with their chin touching their chest. He whispers again, "Kris..."

Now they finally open their eyes, those ruby red eyes that always entranced him. His face is almost that same color.

"Morning, sunshine," they said, the corners of their lips almost turning into a smile. They lifted themself up so they aren't slumped down anymore, never breaking eye contact with the young prince. 

Ralsei hid his eyes from Kris in suspicion of judgement. "It's funny. In a way, it looks like I'm kneeling by your throne."

"Then it should be you up here. The world is our kingdom and you would be King."

"What about you?"

Kris looked to the side and smiled. "The world hasn't invented a term for me...Quing?"

They both laughed, and Ralsei drew even closer. "I think it's wonderful, Kris."

Kris assumed they knew what was going to happen next. Ralsei could tell by the way they ever so slightly tilted their head. "Only if everyone else could think so." they whispered.

One more move, and time seemed to have stopped again, only for half a second, but just as special as the first kiss. Both of them smiled, then pulled away. Only now Ralsei Also noticed that Kris cupped his face.

They whispered, staring like he's the moon and stars, "You'll be a magnificent king."

The bell rung at the front of the shop.