3 - Wise Words

The young prince's eyes widened upon hearing that conclusion. "But...how?"

"I said you may be in love, young one. I didn't say you are. Let me ask you one more thing."

"What is it?"

"Are you alright with that?"

It took Ralsei a second to answer. "I'm...I'm not sure. Is that okay?"

The mage's gaze mellowed out again, his one amber button eye still looking on attentively. "Of course. It's only been two days, yes? It takes time. You'll find out later."

"Thank you, anyways, Seam. Chances are I'll come back again."

"That's alright, you make good company." The mage found a little sliver of that young performer in love he used to be showing though in his goodbye.

Ralsei could have sworn he heard a cluttering noise after he let the curtains close as he left the shop, followed by a voice inside, but it wasn't the shopkeeper. The young prince wasn't going to stay and investigate. He had to get home and write this down.

Dear Diary,

I went to see the shopkeeper today. I almost turned around, actually. But he told ne something I didn't expect. He said I might be in love with Kris? But then he said it was too early to know since it hadn't been that long since we met. I wonder if this feeling would just go away with time. But it could also get stronger. He knew what he was talking about, though, because it happened to him too. But with him it actually worked out. I think. He didn't tell me how it ended up. That's not important to me, though. I just wanted to know what happened to me, and for right now this is the best answer I could get.

Pretty indifferent about this.

Ralsei.

A week passes, and during those seven days, Kris and Susie visited on three of those days, afternoons when they were able to. Kris even said that the Dark World was their new favorite place, because one of their favorite people live there. Who else, they said, other than Ralsei. It made him flush upon mention. There's a chance, he thinks, that Kris could feel the same way.

There has to be. The way they smile at him, how they talk about him, how they get a little defensive when Susie brings it up, and of course, the fact that they hug him before they leave, must all mean something. Is it still too early to tell?

Dear diary,

I've noticed, in Kris' recent visits, that they've become more affectionate. Or, they said something about me that made me feel like when they hug me. They said I was one of their favorite people. Would you know how good that feels? It's empowering, and in a way redeeming, since I feel like I haven't been my best in front of them last week. Last week? It was only a week? It still might be too early to know for sure. And I'm no psychic, but I can see that this can only go well. And if I am in love with Kris, so be it. I think I'm ready.

From a truly happy boy,

Ralsei