8 - For Better, For Worse

"You seem happier, Kris. Did Ralsei put a spell on you or something?" Susie asked with her big, toothy grin.

The human and prince looked at each other. Kris smiled. "You could say that."

"Well. I'm glad you're better." She ruffled Kris' hair. "Seriously, Kris, I don't know how much longer I could see you like that. I know this world's really important to you, and honestly, I almost questioned it too. But it's alright now. Everyone here's legit."

Lancer looked up at Susie. "Yep! Last time I checked, I was real as could be!"

"See? He's got the spirit."

"Would everyone else in your world be worried, too?" Ralsei asked.

Kris hesitated. "Just because our town is small doesn't mean everyone cares. Hell, I don't even see them every day. Everyone knows I'm the weird kid at the edge of town and that's it. The only people who actually are concerned are my parents."

"And what about your brother?"

"Hell what my brother thinks. I don't even care." As soon as those words slipped out, Kris looked over as if they could feel Ralsei's eyes on them the whole time like if another word came out, they should apologize for kissing him with that mouth.

"Sorry. He's made me mad and I shouldn't have a reason why. I missed him, but-"

"It's okay, Kris. It's fine to hate someone who says they're close to you."

The human's expression became cold. "I missed him, and he's never hurt me, and I should give him the benefit of the doubt because I never told him how much this world means to me. I don't hate him."

It sounded like they were getting worse again. He tapped their shoulder in invitation for a hug, and they gave him one tighter than all the other times they had to part ways. He wanted to card through their hair, because how wonderful would it be to touch their hair at all? Then he remembered this had to stay a secret. It's probably too soon, anyway. He heard them whisper, "You're so good. I hope I never have to leave you." Hopefully that was too quiet for Susie and Lancer to hear. But they might catch on because his face turned bright pink.

Susie watched them awkwardly. "You wanna...finish that candy up before we head out?"

***

Dear diary,

I did it. I finally did it. I kissed Kris! Or they kissed me. I don't know exactly what happened. But I'm so happy! Now that they know, they told me they liked me that way too! I wasn't happy since they came here sad. They questioned if this world, the Dark World, is real. It sounds silly, but I have to consider it's not silly in their mind. I tried to cheer them up. Knowing them, everything they talked about was something darker under the surface. They mentioned their brother, too, having something to do with it, and now they have mixed feelings about him. That must be hard, but I have nowhere to talk.

Sincerely from a happy boy,

Ralsei.