7 - Speak from the Heart

"Let's go back out. I bet Susie's worried about me." the human whispered, still holding the prince in their embrace.

"Can she wait a few more minutes?" It's like Ralsei waited so long for this moment, and only just now had the chance to stop time and forget everything else because Kris was the only one important to him right now.

"I guess so. But eventually she'll just leave and talk to Lancer instead. I just want her to know I'm okay now."

"But we don't have to leave yet." And as long as Kris was still holding him, they won't.

"I guess it gives us more time to explain ourselves, yes?"

Ralsei's heart dropped. There was nothing confrontational in the human's voice, but something about it was electrifying. He leaned back, away from the hug. "Well, I..." He looked down at his hands, fidgeting with the cloth of his robe. "I wanted to tell you for a while, but I wasn't sure of the time."

"I did, too. Actually, I hugged you a lot so you'd take a hint."

"Oh."

"Hey, don't feel bad. You can't read my mind. But now I can officially say," as they dramatically lifted their arms, "I love you, Ralsei, and you deserve the entire world because of the joy you bring me."

"...Wow."  Now knowing Kris, that could have either been an exaggeration like it sounded, or they were truly speaking from their heart. There's no way to tell, but he likes to think the latter. "Well, I feel better now that you said that. I was worried I just ruined our friendship."

"Hey, it's okay! This is what you hoped to happen, right?" Kris stood up, and held a hand out.

Ralsei took their hand, and Kris helped him to his feet. Every interaction with them seems so intimate now, that or he's so full of unbridled joy.

The smile faded from Kris' face as they asked, "Should we keep this a secret from Susie and Lancer? I don't know how you feel about these things, and I don't just wanna shout it from the rooftops, unless-" they chuckled, "Unless you're okay with that."

"Maybe...maybe we should wait a little bit. A couple days. Because this does seem rather sudden."

Kris nodded. "Okay. We'll wait a little bit then tell them, unless they catch on and say something."

Ralsei looked away. "I kind of don't want to wait. Right now, I just want to hold your hand any chance I get."

And just then, the human took his hand and kissed it. "You'll be alright. You can always stare at me like the moon and stars." They smiled again and let go of his hand. "Let's go."

Once they both left the castle, they noticed Lancer had showed up too, because his bike was leaning against the castle wall, but there was no sign of him or Susie anywhere.

"Susie? Lancer?" he called. "They couldn't have left. Lancer's bike is here!" he looked at Kris, who just shrugged.

They heard a familiar voice from a distance, and as it got closer, it was recognized as Susie's. She and Lancer appeared out of the obstruction of the maroon foliage, and they both had dark candies.

"Hey! Look who's finally come out. You two took so long we got bored. But hey, we brought candy to cheer you up." Susie held out a star-shaped marshmallow for Kris.

They gasped a little, followed by "Thank you."

Lancer gave a candy to Ralsei, too. Or rather shoved it into his hands. "Here's one for you, too!" 

"Um...thanks."

Susie ran her fingers through her hair and asked, "Hey, Kris. You okay now?"

Kris nodded and took a bite out of the dark candy. "Yeah. Thanks for bringing me here, I really needed it."