1 - The First Return

It had only been a day since their wonderful journey. Today the Heroes of Light are back, but as returning friends eager to see everyone again, curious as to what might have changed since the day before.

On Kris's accord, the first Darkener they wanted to visit was none other than Ralsei. Susie followed them with no questions asked, since it didn't equate to all the other much wilder decisions they made the day before.

Like every other regular day, Ralsei settled alone in his giant castle. He never thought about how boring and saddening it is being all alone for quite some time. How could he have lived like this for so long without losing his mind?

There was a knock on the massive doors. Somebody wanted to see him! It could be the Lighteners, he thought. But he second guessed himself, since them returning so soon seemed too good to be true. He answers anyway, not knowing what to expect. In front of him stands the blue human, wearing their familiar pink cape over shining chrome armor that minimally covered the blue tights that match their unruly hair. Something about Kris just made them look so ethereal to the Dark Prince. Just behind Kris was Susie, not looking as intimidating as when Ralsei first met the two. She had really seemed to tone down in her attitude, even though she hasn't said a word-

"Are you gonna keep staring at Ralsei or say something?" She asked impatiently. Maybe she hasn't changed that much. Kris turned their head toward her in response.

"It's only been a few seconds, can you wait?"

They turned back around to Ralsei. "Sorry about that." They smiled apologetically. Theur smile was a little crooked and showed as much of their gums as it did their teeth, but Ralsei thinks it's the most precious smile in the universe.

"I'm...I'm glad I could see you guys again." He said finally. "What brings you back?"

"That adventure, as frustrating as it got at times, was the most fun I've had in a long time, since my brother moved away. As soon as I left, I missed being here."

"That...That's so sweet of you, Kris."

"Ditto." Susie adds. "Except I don't have a brother, haha." Kris adds, "We can't stay here for very long. I'd rather not get written up for skipping again."

Ralsei tilted his head in confusion. He had no idea what they meant.

"That means we got punished for having an unexcused absence the whole school day." Kris explained. "If we're caught skipping class again, we both get a detention."

"You go to school, right? Or used to?" Susie joined.

"I'm...sorry, I don't know what that is."

Susie approached him closer. "It's where you go to learn stuff. And you're stuck there for thirteen years. But every nine months you get two and a half months off, alright? So we don't have any freedom until the summer."

"That sounds awful."

Kris sighed. "We don't live at school. But if you consider being shoved into lockers, not being allowed to go to the bathroom, and failing a test even though you studied, it is pretty awful." They explained, counting on their fingers as they list each predicament. This sounds perfectly normal to Kris and Susie, but disastrous to Ralsei.

"Well, I...guess you better get going if you can't stay long. I'm sorry if I asked too many questions."

Kris became instantly worried. "No, you're fine. And...there's a dark fountain in your castle, right?"

"Yes."

"Could we get out that way?"

"Yes."

"Hey, no rush. We still have time." There's that smile again. It almost feels like a curse, how the little prince melts inside when Kris does the smallest thing.

"Could I...invite you two inside?"

"Of course. Susie?"

Susie shrugged. "Why not. It's our closest way out." 

Once inside, the three were swallowed by blue light emitting from the fountain, which illuminated the cavernous architecture of the castle.

"So, like. What do you do in here?" Susie asked.

Ralsei lit up. "Susie! You're curious! I mean- mostly I read, I write some poetry, too, mainly about being so alone. And I just think about you guys."

"That's it?"

"Susie." Kris interjected. "We have to go now." Susie scoffed at them in response. "I was really hoping we could do more things today. Did you get what you wanted? Spend all our time with Ralsei?"

"Would you be less mad if we did this after school and not during lunch hour?"

"...Yes."

Ralsei approached them both. "Well, if you need to go so soon, I appreciated the few minutes we had together. It was really nice to see you aga-"

Kris pulled him in to a tight hug. The same feeling he got when he sees Kris smile is intensified. It's familiar, from them hugging him the first time, from being given the white ribbon, and from every time they stood to close. It does feel like a curse. Ralsei gave the hug back anyway, secret manipulative powers or not.

"See ya, Ralsei." Kris half-whispered before disappearing into the fountain with Susie.

"See ya," he responds after they already left, with no one to hear him. As he makes his way back up the stairs, he thinks about how he felt when Kris was near him. It can't be a curse, he thought, because humans can't make magic. It sure did feel like magic, though. Whatever this is, it's definitely put a spell on him.

Dear Diary,

The Lighteners came back. They only stayed for a short while. It has only been a day, but I was so glad to see them again. Kris especially. Now for some reason, and I noticed this when I met them too, when they get too close to me, it makes me feel funny. I feel my face get hot and...maybe my soul start to tremble? It's like nervousness...but it's not? I first thought they had put a spell on me to make me feel that way...but humans can't make magic! Eventually I'll find out what this is. Kris said they'll come back.

Sincerely, Ralsei

P.S. Would it be intrusive to ask the shopkeeper in the field? If this really has anything to do with magic, he'll know.