4 - Keeping Company

Dear diary,

Kris told me they and Susie won't visit for a week. They said they both have to spend time with their families since they're out of school, and they told me not to worry too much, and they'll be thinking of me the whole week. I don't want to think they're lying to me. They never seemed like they would. I told them I'd miss them, and they smiled and said it's just a week, and it'll pass before I know it. I'm not sure about that, though. Kris and Susie are a big part of my life now, and we just got all comfortable with each other, I think. I just hope our relationship doesn't regress. Before they left, Kris told me they knew I was going to miss them, and moved their hair out of their eyes in front of me. I swear I felt my heart drop to my feet. Their eyes are bright ruby red. I don't know what I expected, to be honest. Then they hugged me and said they'll miss me, too. This is going to be a tough week.

A little distraught,

Ralsei.

It's the end of November, and neither Kris or Susie have showed up in the past week. Ralsei was warned of this, that they wouldn't visit because of their lives in the Light World. Even though Kris told him he shouldn't worry, he can't help but think about his friends, how they changed his life, and how he felt small in his own castle after they leave. He still needs company, and decides to visit the old shopkeeper again. Ralsei has no big questions to ask, he just needs someone to talk to, and talking to Seam seemed like the safest option.

Ralsei noticed a bell hanging over the curtain when he pulled it open. This must be a new installment, he thought, before hearing something scurrying behind the counter, then seeing a bluish blur disappear under another curtain at the other end of the shop. Seam arose from behind the counter, adjusting his cloak. 

"Ralsei!" he spoke. "You haven't been here in so long I expect everyone entering to be from the Card Kingdom."

"What...was that?" Ralsei timidly asks, pointing to the other curtain.

"That? Oh. That's my...pet. He's very shy."

Ralsei only stood there, staggered, still pointing, and only blinked.

The mage broke the silence. "Anything I can do for you, prince?"

"I just need some company. My friends will be gone for a week." Ralsei answered, finally.

"That's no problem. I need company too. Would you like tea? I have all sorts. Don't tell me...peppermint is your favorite. Yes?"

This has to be the most eccentric the mage has been. He seems happier than all the other times the young prince had seen him. Ralsei won't question it. 

"Yes. How did you guess?"

"I'm a magician, young one. I never really retired, haha."

Maybe this is getting strange.

"I'll be in the other room to brew our tea. Don't be afraid to make yourself at home." The cat disappeared into the curtain where that creature fled to. Seam never had a pet, did he?

The prince wandered curiously around the shop. There were various items that he didn't recognize, presumably from the light world. On another shelf, there were bottles containing different potions and elixirs, under that a crate of dark candy. Beyond that other curtain must be where the mage actually lives. He leaned close to the wall and lifted an ear with the back of his hand. This isn't being nosy, he thinks. This is curiosity. He hears a voice, but it's too bright and crisp to belong to the mage. It says,

"You're brewing tea? Is there enough for me?"

"Of course there is. But you must stay in here, like we talked about. I don't want you to frighten our guest."

"A guest? They're not from the Card Kingdom, are they? I'd be toast!"

"No, no. Don't be afraid. I don't think he could hurt a fly, much less hurt you. You've seen him, you would know."

Silence.

"Aha, it's the dark prince, isn't it? He battled me with the Lighteners and set me free! Oh, how I'm forever grateful!"

Ralsei backs away from the wall. He now knew what that creature was. The one who seemingly frustrated Kris so much that they had to fight. Ralsei couldn't forgive himself after that battle, even though Kris assured that they did it for the better. But hearing this from Jevil himself, now, it didn't seem so bad. That fight was real aggravating, anyway.

But why would Seam ever let him stay? They seemed to be polar opposites. Unless Seam was happier before he was jailed? Seam did say he was forced to lock him up, and they did perform together.

Together.

Wait a minute. "I noticed a certain companion of mine made me feel the same way you described."

Was Jevil that companion?! How could that be?!