Are You Crying ?

You stood against the brick wall, waiting for twenty minutes or so before a car pulled up. You had calmed yourself down by then, but your hurt had now turned into hatred for Alex.

Just as it started getting chillier, you saw Roger pull up in his car next to the sidewalk. He stopped it and got out, and you immediately ran towards him. You all but jumped on him as your wrapped your arms around his neck and he tried to catch his balance.

"Thank you Roger" You whispered, still holding onto him.

"It's no trouble" He spoke and pulled away. He looked down at you with concern in his eyes "What happened?"

"I-I just had to get out of there" You said, looking down at your feet "My date didn't really go too well"

He put his hand under your jaw and tilted your face up towards him "What's wrong? Are you crying?"

You drew in a breath when you realized how close he was. You weren't crying. Alex was just an entitled asshole.

"I'm not crying" You said and stepped away, pushing away your hurt "I'm okay, can you just take me home?"

"Of course I'll take you home, but not until you tell me what's wrong" He said sternly, determined to find out why you were a mess. Whenever he had seen you, you had always been a calm and composed person.

"Roger, please. I'm freezing" You said and he nodded. He took your hand and you got in the car with him. You got in carefully, making sure your dress didn't ride up as you sat next to him.

He turned on the heater and then turned towards you. Apparently, he wasn't going to start the car until you spilled all the details.

"I guess I just have bad taste in guys. He turned out to be an ass and the date just went sour really quickly" You spoke, looking down at your hands.

"It was more than just a bad date, wasn't it?" He asked, concern laced in his every word and the sheer genuineness of his behaviour made you look up at him in surprise. You had never seen this side of Roger.

"Can we not talk about it right now?" You said, your gaze returning to your hands. Your nose was still sniffling, from almost crying or the cold, you didn't know. Probably a combination of both. He must have realized this so he stopped pushing you. You looked outside the window, you didn't want to be so vulnerable in front of Roger.

"Roger" You spoke, keeping your hand on his arm "It's not that bad, let's just go please"

He looked back at you and you noticed something unusual in his eyes. He nodded. Your chest tightened at the fact that he cared so much.

You sat in silence as Roger drove until after a few minutes he spoke again "With a dress like that, no wonder your date went bad. What were you aiming for? The opera?"

You gaped at him and smacked his arm with your hand "Shut up! It's an amazing dress, you just can't appreciate the good things in life"

"Keep telling yourself that" He spoke, grinning and you felt like hitting him again.

"I'm starting to regret calling you" You spoke.

"Well, I'm glad you did. I wouldn't have missed a chance to see you cry for the world" He said.

"Ugh, I wish you hadn't. You'll hold that against me forever, won't you?"

Roger laughed and turned to you "Of course I will, you look so ridiculous when you're not sassing everyone around you"

"Were you busy when I called?" You asked him.

"I mean, depends... Kristina was doing all the work" He said.