Chapter 6

At five past ten, William comes staggering down the stairs, scruffily dressed but thankfully not smelling of stale liquor. In the time it has taken for him to get ready Lucile has called the carriage and her butler now waits at the door. Henrietta has also managed to sigh dramatically more times than the number of spiral curls on her spiteful head and decide to wear white gloves rather than yellow.

"Finally." She snaps shut the powder compact and marches to the door. The butler opens it and she waltzes down the steps to the open carriage. Lucile follows but Evelyn hangs back so she can walk with her brother. 

"We have been here one day and you have already become acquainted with our aunt's whiskey cabernet." She murmers disapprovingly as they walk down the steps into the busy London street. 

"Oh we became more than acquainted." William flashes a bad boy smile before sliding into the carriage. Evelyn accepts a hand from the footman and moves in after him. Lucile's carriage is bigger than her father's and the four companions can comfortably sit inside without jostling someone every time they move. Evelyn regretfully finds herself sitting next to her cousin as Henrietta's skirt bulges out and provides Evelyn with little leg room. The door is pushed shut and the horses jump into a trot. 

"Madame Olive's is where all the young girls about town get their dresses from." Lucile says, excitedly, "I cannot remember the last time I went there." 

"How long does it take to get there?" William asks, shielding his eyes from the sun the pours in through the thin curtains. He might be clean and dressed but there is no mistaking the dark bags under his eyes and the fact he is cradling his head. 

"About half an hour but we will drop off at Sir Jackson's on the way so I estimate we will be there about a quarter to 11." She replies. 

"What is this Jackson like?" Evelyn asks, intrigued, having not heard of him before. 

"He's a nice sweet sort of boy, bless his little heart," Lucile says fondly. 

"Great," William mutters, disappointed. Evelyn kicks him softly, he looks at her questioningly. 

"He sounds like a nice man." She says pointedly. He forces a fake smile and nods. 

"Indeed," Lucile says, unaware of the silent communication between the siblings. 

"I think I need five party dresses and seven-day dresses," Henrietta says, bored of discussion this irrelevant stranger. 

"What about the  new dresses you had made at home?" Evelyn asks, aware that their local dressmakers recently fulfilled an extensive order that her cousin has not worn every item of yet. 

"You can have them," Henrietta says, she thinks for a moment, "And two riding habits." 

"You can't even ride," William says frustrated, "You refuse to go near horses." 

"But those habits will really show off my waist and figure." She says, fluttering her eyelashes. 

William opens his mouth to speak but the carriage stops in front of a big house with golden windows and bright white stone. The footman opens the door and pulls the steps down. 

"Sir Jackson's residence." He says, not looking at anyone. The travellers lean forward to take a better look at the house. It's a pleasant type of house with marble steps and wide gaping windows. 

"We shall call on the way back but I am sure Sir Jackson will lend you transport if you need it." Lucile says. 

William shoots an unimpressed look at his sister before clambering down. The footman lifts up the steps and he shuts the door on the three women. Evelyn catches sight of the door of the house opening and William walking inside before the carriage pulls them away.