Chapter 25

When Evelyn collapses onto her bed, her heart still hasn't returned to its normal pace. She didn't even look back as she climbed out of Blackmoore's carriage, only murmured a goodbye and a thank you before vanishing into the house.  The house is silent as she creeps upstairs, everyone must be still at the party as the servants are nowhere to be seen. Her room is lit by a few candles and she manages to stumble to her bed. She has too many emotions running through her head to think straight so she pulls her blankets over her dress, shoes, not bothering to remove her makeup or jewellery and closes her eyes. The memory of his lips pressed against hers springs into her mind and her eyes fly open. She groans and places one of her pillows over her face, the kiss, the money, her father, it all is too much to process. How could she let such a thing happen? How is it possible for her to lose sight of her priorities like that? 

"Miss?"

Evelyn starts and removes the pillow to see a concerned Juliet standing over her.

"You startled me." Evelyn sits up and brushes the hair from her eyes. "Did I wake you?" 

"Not at all, it's not even 10 yet," Juliet says, sitting down on the end of the bed. 

"Oh really?" Evelyn frowns. She catches sight of herself in the mirror across the room and suddenly all she wants is to take it all off. Unable to stand the sight of the gold dress she turns away and begins to take off her shoes and jewellery. She stands up and gestures for Juliet to undo the back of the dress so that she can step out of it. The beautiful gown drops to the floor and Evelyn steps over it, not caring that the expensive dress lies on the floor in a crumpled heap. She sits down in front of the mirror and starts to take off the remains on her make up. 

Juliet picks up the gold dress and hangs it up. "Did it work?" 

Evelyn pauses taking pins and the gold ivy out of her hair. "Did what work?"  

Juliet crosses the room and removes the pins on the top of her mistress's head so that her silvery hair falls down in a sleek mass. She shoots Evelyn a patronising look in the mirror and places the hair accessories away. Evelyn takes a small comb and runs it through her hair before twisting it into a long plait. 

"Everything worked out alright," She says walking around to her wardrobe. She takes off her underclothes and slips on a nightdress. The girl in a light cream nightgown and simple plait looks like a different person compared to the lady drenched in gold. 

"Henrietta was quiet today." Juliet comments, going around the room and blowing out the candles, "Everyone was quiet today." 

"I am not surprised." Evelyn climbs into bed and settles against her pillows. "But when you haven't got anything worth saying..." 

"Are you alright?" Her maid asks, folding her arms.  '

"Me?" Evelyn smiles, "I am not not alright but..." She shrugs. "Things have changed and I am not sure whether it is for the best." 

 "Not a lot has changed in the past three years," Juliet says, "I think we are all in need of a difference." 

"Even if that difference hurts?" Evelyn questions. 

Juliet just smiles and blows out the last candles, the room is plunged into darkness. 

"Sleep well." She says. 

Evelyn closes her eyes, she hears the door shut and is left alone. While her body pleads for sleep, her mind keeps her awake in her state of confusion and turmoil. She is still awake when her cousin arrives a few hours later,  Henrietta barely makes a sound as she undresses in the moonlight, careful to cause as little a disturbance as possible. She slips into bed quietly and quickly. Evelyn has the urge to say something to her but by the time she has managed to organise the right words in her head, the soft breathing from the other bed tells her that the girl is asleep. Evelyn closes her eyes and tries to dream but distorted images of the duke and her family haunt her mind.