Chapter 9

The journey to Edith's house is long and Henrietta is constantly fidgeting with excitement, she keeps patting her hair and pulling at her big lacy cuffs. Lucile is surprisingly quiet and she only nods when she is addressed. As they reach the outside of town attention is drawn to the massive estates they pass, the impressive buildings get more grand the further from town they travel and soon they arrive at a house that is about twelve times bigger than 104. 

 As they join the queue of carriages entering the estate Evelyn leans her head to look out of the window at the giant house that stands amongst several acres of forest and green. 

"I could have been mistress of all this." She murmurs to herself as they slowly roll down the drive. The carriage stops in front of the open double doors and a footman from the house opens the door while a separate one offers out his hand. 

Eagerness all over her face Henrietta takes his hand and practically leaps out of the carriage. Evelyn also accepts his hand but climbs down more demurely. Henrietta has given no thought to her companions but is striding forward to join the throng walking inside. Evelyn darts forward and pulls her back. Henrietta narrowly avoids bumping into the Duchess of Kent. 

"What?" She asks, annoyed. 

"We have to wait and walk in together," Evelyn whispers, tugging her back towards the carriage. 

"Why?" Henrietta defiantly holds her head up. 

"Becuase..." Evelyn hisses, "No respectable lady enters a party alone."

Henrietta sighs and waits for Lucile to catch up to them. Once their aunt is by their side, they slowly walk into the house. It has a bright hallway that is filled with all types of noblemen and women. The effort that has gone into making the entrance look pretty is astounding, decorative stars hang from the ceiling and slowly rotate around a large half moon. Silver tinsel has been draped over the portraits and hung between the candle holders. 

Already, Evelyn can feel whispers and stares on her as they glide down the polished entrance hall floor. 

"I can hear music." Henrietta bounces up and down as she walks. "There's champagne!" 

Evelyn smiles wryly at the enthusiasm her cousin is emitting but it drops from her face as they draw level with the hostess. 

"Lady Edith." Lucile curtsies politely, the cousins copy. 

"Lucile, Miss Buxley, Miss Wright." Edith smiles and bows her head, "Thank you for coming." 

"Thank you for inviting us," Henrietta says, ecstatic. "I have never seen such grandeur." 

"I hope it lives up to your expectations." The woman replies, her eyes harden as they take in Evelyn. "Miss Wright, it's almost like you never left..." 

Evelyn bristles but keeps a pleasant expression on her face. People turn when they hear her name and most of the hallway's attention is now on the new guests. Edith notices that Evelyn now holds all of her attention and her smile turns sour. 

"I hope you have a good night." She says coldly and turns away without a goodbye. 

Lucile is taken aback at the change of tone but she doesn't voice her confusion and guides the two girls away from Lady Edith. Henrietta keeps squealing as she drinks in every golden element of this lifestyle she has walked into. Her eyes widen to the size of dinner plates as she spies the ballroom through large double doors. The ballroom is awash with bright light, it sparkles as couples waltz around to the orchestra set on a stage to the side of the room. Servers walk around with glasses of champagne and small glasses of ruby port, their matching white uniforms make them easily spottable against the colourful dresses and dark suits.