Chapter 27

It has been half an hour since Detective Rawson left the house and yet Blackmoore hasn't moved a muscle. Evelyn tried to convince him to open the door and then when that failed, simply tried talking to him but he made no sign that he was aware she was even speaking.

As it approaches midnight Evelyn becomes restless and she begins walking around the room in a continuous loop.

"What are you doing?"

She slows to a stop on her umpteenth circle. Blackmoore has raised his head from his hands and is watching her with annoyance. Taking advantage of his attention she comes over and falls to her knees in front of him.

"I am going to go insane in this room, we need to leave." She pleads, grabbing both of his hands in hers.

"He's going to hang you." He says gravely. "We are safe here."

"No," Evelyn cups his face, forcing his wild eyes to hers. "He's gone, we need to get out before he comes back."

Blackmoore closes his eyes and leans into her hold. "I can't lose you." He whispers. "I can't be the reason you die."

Evelyn's heart constricts. "No one is doing to die." She says firmly. "But you need to get out of your head." For a moment she thinks she has gotten through to him but when his expression darkens, her heart sinks.

He forces her hands away and she falls back on her legs. He doesn't register her profanities as she storms away, kicking at his desk. She tries to remain angry for her sake, she keeps her back to him but before long her eyes begin to droop. The exhaustion she feels is enough to outway any emotion. She clears off a chaise lounge and drags over the fur from by the fireplace, she settles into the cushions and closes her eyes.

The duke watches her sleep, she looks so peaceful, her blonde hair sprayed over her face as she breathes. All he sees in her face is innocence, he can't look at her, not for long, the guilt is overpowering. What he wouldn't give to tell her when she wakes that it is all going to be alright, that they are going to be alright. Sadness unfurls in his stomach, it mixes with the guilt and pain, he rises to his feet and unlocks the door.

Sunlight streams through the only window and dances over her face in her sleep. She blinks slowly, stretching and sitting up, the fur slips off her. Immediately she notices that the door is wide open and that the duke is not around. She jumps off the lounge and cautiously approaches the door. She half expects to find Rawson with a group of men, ready to take her away but there is no one around. She creeps down the hallway, listening intently for any sound. As she walks into the main hall she starts to frown, what on earth is going on?

"What are you doing?"

Evelyn shrieks and jumps around. Blackmoore and Claude both stand behind her, they look at her with confusion as she places a hand to her racing heart.

"Bloody hell." She cries, "You scared me."

"Evidently." The duke says, looking unimpressed, "I was just about to come and wake you. We are leaving London today."

She shoots him a perplexed look.

"We are going away until this mess is sorted," He says.

"I don't think...." She begins but he cuts across her.

"It's final, I've already decided." He says with derision. She takes a step back at his audacity and frowns.

"It's not up for discussion." He says when she opens her mouth. "We will pack a few things and then leave as soon as possible."