Chapter 23

One and a half hours later and Evelyn leaves the room, her winnings tucked down her corset. It was surprisingly easy to collect the amount she needed with Mathew's 15% and a little bit extra for herself. Despite the game being entirely nessccary, she found Lawrence Jordan's comments into her ear between games to be highly amusing and she found herself genuinely laughing for the first time in a long time.

 She swings the bag on her wrist as she walks down the stairs, the ball is in full swing and people dance to the swelling music. She slips into the room through a small door and edges around the room looking for Mathew. She spots him talking to Jane in a corner and the sight almost makes a smile rise to her lips. It is true she doesn't really like the arrogant lord, but with Jane, she can see that the outside appearance fades away. She waves him over and he quickly leaves his betrothed and walks up to her. They stand side by side and pretend to watch the dancers as they talk out of the corners of their mouths. 

"Finished already?" He asks.

"I am not one for time-wasting," Evelyn says, thrusting the heavy bag into his hand. His eyes widen as he takes hold of the full weight but he doesn't look at her.

"Have you taken your share?" He asks confused.

"Of course I have." She murmers, "That's yours."

"Damn." He whistles, "You are a miracle."

Evelyn has to smirk at that, she knows he wishes he has her talent.

"Thank you for this." She says honestly. Mathew grunts in response. 

"I expect an invite to your wedding." She whispers before slipping into the shadows. She decides that trying to escape this ball through the ballroom in this dress is going to be near impossible therefore she slips out of a side door and manages to find the main corridor that connects to the exit. She passes a few people who give her stunned looks but she keeps her head up high and doesn't deter when she sees her cousin standing with her brother at the main door to the ballroom. They see her and their faces drop to pure astonishment but she pays them no heed even though her heart begs her to. She is almost out of the house when a hand curls around her wrist and roughly pulls her back. 

"What are you doing?" Blackmoore's black eyes roam over her face, if possible they darken even more when they take in the full effect of her appearance. She tries to wrench her arm free but his punishing grip is relentless.

"I am leaving." She says, not willing to deal with him. He frowns at her harsh tone. 

"I thought we agreed not to draw attention to each other." He hisses, forcing her to the side of the emptying corridor. 

"We never promised each other anything." She glares, she tosses her hair. "And wasn't it you who said that what's worse than drawing attention to yourself is being forgotten?"

"For the sake of both our reputations we need to be careful." He says. 

"How can I care about my reputation when I am helping a member of the Diabolus est syndicate!" She spits the Latin in his face. Blackmoore freezes and steps back from her, letting her wrist drop to her side. He lets out a sigh and runs his hand over his face, he tries to study her face but she is expressionless, just waiting for him to speak. 

"So this is your last bid for a legacy? Drown yourself in gold?" He asks, mirthlessly. 

"If I wanted a legacy that bad I would just shoot someone." Evelyn bites back. He advances on her. 

"Who told you?" He demands, "Who did you see?" 

"Why does it matter? You make a game out of making wives stray, you ruin marriages!" She hisses.