Chapter 24

"This is a dangerous part of town." Blackmoore comments as the carriage trundles down Gargoyle street to Carpenter's Yard. Evelyn doesn't reply but looks out of the window at the crooked houses and dirty streets that seem to go on forever. When the carriage stops she doesn't wait for him to help her and steps out in front of the Deer and Hound. In the lack of natural light, it looks even more run down.

"Evelyn, wait." Blackmoore calls, jumping down but her hand is already on the door handle.

The inside is even more dark and dingy than the outside. Most of the rotting wooden floorboards are taken up by occupied circular tables with small stubby candles and beer tankards. The people that have taken the seats are similar to their inhabitance, they have seen better days.

The small bar has been pushed into the furthest corner of the room and behind it, there is a set of stairs that disappear upwards. She steps inside and the dull murmuring of drunken chat stops as everyone stares at her. Blackmoore appears at her shoulder and casts a disparaging look around the room. She tries to look apologetic while she crosses the room to the bar where she takes the only unoccupied seat, he follows her and stands at her shoulder, on edge.

Behind the bar, the bartender watches her out of the corner of his eye as he serves a toothless man. A woman stands a little behind cleaning glasses with a rag cannot be described as clean. The bartender places a glass in front of his customer but he doesn't over to her, she waits patiently, placing her hands on the bar and then regretting it. Eventually, he hobbles over to her side, he takes a long look at her dress and painted face before even speaking, the disgust is evident.

"What can I do to help you, my lady?" He rasps out.

"There's a man staying here." She says, "Under the name Wright."

"Never heard of that name before." He replies curtly, he starts to move away but she doesn't let him get further than a step.

"I find that hard to believe as I spoke to him yesterday." She narrows her eyes but smiles polietly.

"Must have given you a false name." The bartender says. "We don't get your sort around here."

"We should go," Blackmoore whispers, conscious of the entire pub's attention on them but she shrugs him off, leaning forward.

"I just need to talk to him." She says to the man behind the bar, he doesn't respond. "Please."

The man remains in stoic silence. Evelyn can feel her control on her emotions slowly withering away, she sits back on her stool, defeated. The bartender moves away and Blackmoore is torn between whether to offer her comfort or to get her the hell out of this dogy pub.

"Oh for god's sake." The woman cleaning glasses marches over and claps the man behind the ear. "Are you the daughter, Evie or somthin like that?"

"Yes," Evelyn says in surprise. "My name is Evelyn."

"Go on up." The woman nods to the stairs, "He's in room 12."

"Thank you." Evelyn smiles gratefully and quickly bounces out of her seat to the climb the stairs. The stairs wind up to a straight corridor, every door is identical except from the number that hangs from broken nails. She follows them down to one of the last doors, the 12 is upside down and the paint is peeling all over. Blackmoore has followed her but he hovers at the top of the stairs to give her some privacy.

Evelyn takes a steadying breath before she knocks on the door. There is a loud scuffling sound and then the door opens wide and Mr Wright stands in the doorway.

"Evelyn?" He stares at her in surprise.

"Father," She says calmly, she pulls the bag from within her corset, "This is Henrietta's inheritance plus a little to cover any other debt and a bit to allow for comfort as you start work again." She places it into his hand.