Chapter 29

Blackmoore looks up from his desk, the clock strikes five in the hall and he closes the book in front of him. He leans back in his chair and pours himself a large glass of brandy. He hasn't eaten since Evelyn rode away from him, he hasn't even contemplated sleep despite his body and mind protesting profusely. He requested to be left alone with the company of an expensive decanter of whiskey.

There is a knock on the door of the study but Blackmoore doesn't even register it, he simply stares at the alcohol in his hand, his eyes drink in the dark amber colour and search in its intoxicating depths for answers that it will never be able to provide. Consequently, he doesn't realise a man has entered his study until the stranger is right in front of him, a disapproving scowl over his handsome face. When Blackmoore recognises the fellow in his slightly inebriated state his mood goes from bad to foul.

"What are you doing here?" He asks, putting down his glass and glaring at the other man.

Jasper Harrington gives him a condescending look and surveys the distressed room, he pearches on the nearest chair, ignoring the stacks of papers and letters.

"You have sunk far beyond my expectations." He says, taking in the duke's wrinkled shirt, messy hair and dead face, not the mention the strong smell of whiskey. "I thought you would have more fight than this."

"What are you doing here?" Blackmoore repeats, his temper rising at the man's imprudence.

"Not even going to attempt a cordial conversation then?" Jasper asks.

"I am not in the mood for self-centred dukes to lecture me on the proper way to host guests." Blackmoore grits his teeth. "Particularly when said duke is so far up his own arse that he never hosts people anyway!"

Jasper greets these words with an unsurprised look, he shakes his head and reaches into his jacket, he takes out a file.

"I met your man at the legal office unsuccessfully trying to get hold Miss Wright's information. He explained to me the situation so I pulled a few strings." He throws the file onto the desk. "You are welcome."

Blackmoore reluctantly opens the file and reads the first few lines, his brow becomes furrowed. He flips through the pages, skim-reading the contents. He looks up to see Jasper staring at him expectantly.

"What are you still doing here?" He shuts the file and leans back in his chair. "Do you want my gratitude?" He mocks.

"Not particularly," Jasper replies, cooly. 

"Then leave," Blackmoore says clearly. Jasper raises his eyebrows but doesn't comment on the rudeness however his expression becomes one of cold efficiency.

"Let's be clear." He says standing up, "I am only here because of my wife, she likes Evelyn, she doesn't want to her hang. Originally I was going to give you the file and leave but seeing how much of a mess you are I don't think I can." He sniffs, "I can smell the whiskey from here."

"I don't need your help." Blackmoore spits. "Nor your wife's."

"But Evelyn does, Evelyn needs all the help she can get." Jasper says, "Or are you going to sit back like normal and let her die."

"Don't you dare." Blackmoore whispers, "You have no right."

"She's going to die if you continue like this."

"Be quiet!!" Blackmoore roars, throwing his glass against the wall, it shatters and the sparkling glass flies everywhere. Jasper doesn't react to the outburst, he gives the duke a moment to calm down before he walks over to the desk and flips open the file.