Chapter 31

Evelyn can barely believe her eyes as her friend slows his horse to a stop just short of the bridge. 

"Good morning." He calls back, waving. 

"Just wait there." She calls down to him. She hurriedly walks down the right side of the bridge onto the tiny track, she scrambles over the gate to access the path under the bridge and walks up to where he has dismounted. He takes off his hat to her with a grin and she gives him a slight curtsey in return 

"I think stalking is illegal." He admonishes lightly, she takes a moment to look offended but then she smiles. 

"Then you should stop because this is where I live not you." She replies, pretending to turn away haughtily.  He laughs and looks around, he scratches his chin thoughtfully. 

"I never pictured you living on a bridge but now I am here...." He says, looking at the crumbling structure. "Very nice." 

 Evelyn laughs, "I would invite you in...." She gestures to the canal, "But as you can see I have no door."

"Shocking." Lawrence tuts. They share an amused smile at their jesting. 

"I can't believe you are in Darlington," She says. "This is such a welcome surprise."

"I must say it is nice to see a friendly face, Newcastle was full of gruff talking people, and I confess I could hardly understand them." He says. 

"Did your business go well?" She asks, brushing her hair from her eyes as a gust of window sweeps by them.

"As well as can be expected, I don't think they were a big fan of Americans but I now have a port there so.." He shrugs and smiles. "They better get used to me." 

"So are you going back to London?" She says. "Becuase this road isn't the right way." 

"No, I am making a stop in Richmond before I return." He says. "I have a vendor there that I need to discuss with." 

Evelyn nods and then nervously tugs at the corner of her coat. She lightly blushes but looks into his charmingly handsome face and asks, "Would you like to have lunch at my house?" 

"I'd be delighted." He replies. "If it is not too much trouble." 

"It's just me at home but the cook is excellent." She explains as she leads him to the gate.  She opens it and Lawernce and his horse pass through onto the bridge and to the other side of the canal. 

"I am sure it will be lovely." He says, "I haven't eaten a good meal in the last few days." 

"Oh?" Evelyn feels lighter as she walks next to him and his horse, the turmoil in her stomach has dissipated and her duke is far from her mind. 

"The hotel I stayed in tried to pass off what I think was rat as pork," Lawrence tells her, pulling a disgusted face. 

"Ewww." Evelyn wrinkles her nose and chuckles at his comical face. "I can assure you that there is no rat in my kitchen." She kicks at the ground, "Well, Lucy's kitchen." She spins to face him directly, "And there is an excellent whiskey selection." 

He mocks looking at his pocket watch, "At this time in the day? You are a bad influence on me, Miss Wright." 

"Evelyn." She says and he looks slightly confused. 

"My name is Evelyn." She says with a grin and then she skips off and he has to pull his horse into a fast walk to catch up. 

"So, Evelyn." He smiles as he says her name. 

"Yes?" She turns her head to address him and the sun glances down on her hair, making the silvery locks gleam. He smiles at her. 

  "You look very happy today."