Chapter 35

Evelyn can barely take three steps out of the carriage before she is embraced by her brother. He squeezes her tight and doesn't let go until their father appears at his shoulder. He drops his arms and steps away. Evelyn kisses her father's cheek lightly, but she doesn't meet his eyes. Lucile is also part of the welcome party; she embraces her niece and kisses her cheek.

"How did you know it was me?" Evelyn asks once she is released from the hug.

"I recognised the carriage, you only get those up north," William says, "Odd choice though, surprised it made the journey."

"I wasn't expecting such a welcome," Evelyn says looking around for Henrietta. "But where is..." She looks expectantly at Lucile, but her aunt looks to the ground and her hands twitch. Evelyn glances from guilty face to guilty face.

"Will someone tell me before I fear the worst." She says, laughing slightly to cover her fear. "Father?"

Mr Wright sighs, he runs a hand through his crinkled hair. "She's at Lady Edith's. She's meeting Fredrick's father. Fredrick proposed to her and...and she said yes."

Evelyn blinks, astounded, "Fredrick is going to marry Henrietta? And Edith's fine with this? And you're fine with this?" She shakes her head and paces in front of the carriage. "I don't believe this."

"Evie, you had your chance to have him, but you said no. He's entitled to marry someone else, even if that someone else is your cousin," William says apologetically.

"I neither asked nor care for your good opinion brother." Evelyn spits without thinking. She closes her eyes in regret when she sees the hurt in his eyes. She sighs. "I am sorry, I am not angry...just surprised. When did this happen?"

"Five days ago." Mr Wright says, "It's their engagement ball tonight."

"It's lucky you were cleared last week or you might not have been able to come," Lucile says trying to lighten the mood.

"Lucky? Yes, I suppose...wait last week?" Evelyn frowns, her heart missing a beat, "I am cleared? I've been cleared since last week?"

"Yes, but we thought that you knew." Mr Wright says. Evelyn looks from one to the other, disbelief and fury in her mind.

"Why did no one write to me and tell me I was safe?" She demands, "I was terrified on the journey here, I thought I was going to be arrested at any moment!"

"You were on the run for murder, we didn't know where you were," William states defensively. "Blackmoore wouldn't tell us anything other than that you were safe."

"Screw him! You didn't think to use logic? I mean where could I have actually gone?" She snaps, throwing her hands in the air and groaning.

Her aunt reaches to take her hand, but Evelyn snatches her arm away and pushes through her family. She gives Juliet a pointed look as she passes her in the doorway and marches inside. Evelyn hurries up the stairs to her room, she flings the door open and flops onto her bed. Thoughts and words swirl around her head and a dull ache settles in her heart.

"Miss?" Juliet enters and walks up to her bed. Evelyn sits up and fixes the maid with a calculating look.

"What happened?" She asks, not bothering to hide her annoyance.

"In regard to...?" Juliet shuffles slightly.

"Everything."

"When you vanished, we were all shocked, even more so when we learnt you were to be arrested. Your father returned from his trip almost immediately and William was removed from the prosecution soon after. We all stayed in the house in case you returned and then Fredrick showed up and proposed to Henrietta. After that Duke Blackmoore visited and told us what happened with you both." Juliet says.