Chapter 32

After the events of last night Duke Blackmoore finds he has little energy to get dressed, however thoughts of Evelyn spur him on and he eventually stumbles downstairs fully dressed. He grabs a slice of buttered toast from the breakfast laid out in his study and sits in his chair, chewing his food. He spends the next half an hour slowly going through the documents he has accumulated but his frustration begins to get the better of him and he lying on the floor when Claude enters with fresh tea.

"Feeing down sir?" He asks his master, placing the tray on the desk. 

"I am feeling hopeless." Blackmoore admits, "I am no closer to finding the killer." He sits up and rests his head on his hands. "I want feel like I am doing something worthwhile."

"Saving Evelyn is worthwhile, and you will find the person, you are just in a rut." Claude assures, "Maybe take a walk to clear your head?" 

The duke springs to his feet, "That is an excellent idea." He pulls on his shoes and laces them up. "I know just where to go to." 

"Sir?" Claude retrieves a charcoal jacket and holds it up for him to shrug on.

"I am going to see Evelyn's family." Blackmoore explains, fastening his cufflinks and tidying his hair.

"But she didn't ask you to," Claude says, looking concerned.

Blackmoore walks around to his desk and starts rummaging in the draws ."I know but I feel as though I owe her family some sort of vaguely truthful explanation." He pulls out a small envelope and slips it into his pocket. "I'll be back before lunch and then I want to go see Harrington."

"I'll send a card immediately and prepare your horse." Claude bows and leaves the study with efficiency. Once content with his appearance Blackmoore hurridly strides from his study to the front door, only stopping to pick up his top hat and cane from the coat stand. Chilly air greets him as he hops down the steps, drawing his jacket closer to him. He accepts a horse from a stable hand and swings his long legs over the dapple grey mare. A pang enters his heart as he clicks the horse onwards thinking of Neptune and Everlyn so far away from him.

The short journey is uneventful but people seem to give him a wide berth when they recognise him on approach. When he climbs down having reached 104 he feels a deep sensation of dread and guilt. He knows that the family have every right to react negatively to what he wants to say and this thought encourages the overwhelming flood of guilt. 

He ties his horse to the fence outside the house and knocks on the door twice. He hears some commotion from inside and then a girl opens the door, an apron tied around her waist and flour on her face. She frowns for a moment when she sees him but makes no comment.

"Can I help you sir?" She asks cordially.

"I was hoping to see Evelyn's.....guardian?" He says polietly, "I wish to...."

"Juliet, who is it?" Henrietta appears on the maid's right. She does a double-take when she sees the duke and lets out a little gasp. She quickly recovers and schools her face into a neutral expression.

"Duke Blackmoore, what a surprise, how can I be of assistance?"

"I was hoping to speak to your aunt." He replies, recognising Evelyn's cousin, "Is she in?"

Henrietta struggles to contain her curiosity but she does her best to appear unaffected by the request. "We are all in, my lord." She says, "My uncle has just returned from his business travels."

"Your uncle? Evelyn's father?" Blackmoore says quickly. "Can I see him?"

"Of course," Henrietta and Juliet step back and allow him into the house, he shuts the door behind him and removes his hat. The three of them stand awkwardly in the hall for a moment until Henrietta speaks.