Chapter 7

A choice to make

Alec’s P.O.V
The river under the bridge was flowing in a single direction, splashing on the rocks that came in its way. The night was getting darker and darker making the stars shine brighter upon me. I stared in to the night for hours thinking about my body against Magnus’, Thinking about the parabatai ceremony with Jace. About my fingers grazing with Magnus’ when I gave him the healing potion, the touch sending shivers down my spine. Thinking about Clary blushing while thinking or talking about Jace.
Thoughts came to me one after another only to be interrupted by my vibrating phone in my pocket. I took it out to see Izzy calling and picked up. “Alec? I called Magnus to tell you we returned to the institute as you weren’t picking up but he told me that you left hours ago. I tried calling you many times but you didn’t pick up. Where are you?” she sounded worried and I checked my phone’s notifications to see 18 missed calls. “Sorry Izzy I got caught up in…things.” She sighed and told me to return immediately. I checked the time and it was late indeed.
I returned to institute to find Jace and Izzy worried. I came up to them and asked them, “What’s up? Everything ok?” and Izzy came up to me and hugged me tightly. I hugged her back throwing a confused glance at Jace who asked me “By the Angel Alec! Where the hell were you?” I raised my eyebrows at that. “What is it? You guys want something from me?” and Jace came up to me shaking his head and wrapped his arms around us both; me and Izzy. “I want to tell you something.” He said to both of us and all of us parted and I and Izzy looked at him while grinned widely.

Magnus’ P.O.V
I felt something ache in my heart to let Alec go so easily but it not just that. Something was wrong with Alec. He was sad or hurt. I felt it hours later, after he left. I was unknowingly sad too. Not knowing the reason but I felt like talking to him once. “Don’t bother” was what he said before leaving and I couldn’t figure it out if it was for apologizing to him or to fight for him, or to hope that he could be mine.
He knew I had feelings for him and yet he was running away from me. Yet he wanted Jace and I felt jealous of that blond shadowhunter. He had no idea how lucky he was to have Alec feel for him. I got up from my couch and went to the table nearby to make a drink for myself absent-mindedly. I sipped from it and looked at the curtains ahead. The glitter was too light so I snapped my finger to get it to shine brighter in the moon light that was pouring in through the windows.
I went to my balcony with Alec still in my mind. The hurt was still there. I inhaled the cool air of Brooklyn deeply while I decided to call him so I picked up my phone from a table nearby and called him. Very surprisingly he picked up and said “Hello?” in a hoarse voice and my heart stopped for a moment. Was he crying? Why? I lost my grip at the glass in my hand and the shattering of the glass snapped me back and I asked him “Are you okay Alexander?” and waited but there was no reply. “Can we meet? I want to talk to you.” And there was again no reply. I sighed and told him “I’ll be waiting for you at my apartment. Please come if you feel like it.” And hung up and snapped my fingers at the shattered glass with liquid all over the floor. It was clean in a heartbeat and then I waited.

Alec’s P.O.V
“My love Rune. It glowed when I kissed Clary.” Jace explained the reason behind his grin and I stared at him. Just stared, not knowing what to say or to do. I never knew what that rune meant, why did it even existed? but this was the reason. Right here. Jace explained his kiss to Izzy and me, and I never heard a single word. I kept smiling and nodding when I wanted to scream. I wanted to scream so loud that it would shatter everything in the world; I wanted to break and set everything on fire. I wanted to cry aloud. Wanted to tell Jace that I loved him as well. But most of all, I wanted to kill Clary.
After Jace finished, or had to finish because he was called by Clary, he got up and left. Izzy hugged me again, tighter and I couldn’t hug her back this time. I was too broken to move even slightly and she whispered in my ears, “Remember what I said. Someday someone’s going to love you heart and soul.”

”