Food For Thought

Prompt by @loubuttons: Tony taking Peter out to breakfast 

________________________

"Are you sure you can eat all those, buddy?"

Peter glances up at his father from behind a mountain of pancakes, picking up his fork as his stomach rumbles. Tony eyes him with slight worry, setting down his own steaming cup of coffee.

"Of course!" Peter chirps, cutting into the first pancake and shoving about half of it into his mouth. "I's so goo'!"

Tony lets out a small chuckle, licking his finger and reaching over to gently wipe away a spear of maple syrup from Peter's chin. The boy wrinkles his nose at the touch, one hand flying up to bat at his dad's.

"Hey! That's so gross."

Tony rolls his eyes, taking a bite of his eggs. "So is being covered in jelly, bambino."

Peter huffs, bottom lip pushing out in a tiny pout as he glances around the small diner. In the corner, few feet from the back door and right beside the soda fountain, sits an elderly couple, the man carefully cutting his ham as his wife adds sugar to her tea. The rest of the diner is empty, and Peter relaxes more in his seat.

"Hey, Pete?" Tony's voice shakes the boy out of his thoughts and he looks back at his father with wide doe eyes.

"Yeah, Dad?" The spidering answers, smirking a little. "Finally decide that I was right?"

Tony huffs out a laugh, ruffling his son's curls. "Not a chance, kiddie. I was just gonna ask if you wanted a milkshake but with that sass. . ."

Peter sudden sits up, holding up a slightly pleading hand. "No, no Dad! I'm sorry-- wait, you're going to let me have a milkshake at," Peter looks up at the clock on the wall. "ten in the morning?"

"Nope." Tony says, stirring his coffee. "Just wanted to make sure you were listening."

Peter groans, sinking further down into his seat. "You're evil."

"Tell me something I don't know."

"Did you know that spider blood is blue, because the oxygen in spider bloodstreams is bound to a chemical called hemocyanin?"

This time Tony is the one who groans. "Peter, that's not what I meant and you know it. Stop being sassy and eat your pancakes."

The spiderling just laughs, stabbing another piece and shoving it into his mouth. Tony grimaces as the boy chugs down his apple juice after swallowing. Quickly calling over the waiter, Tony orders another coffee for himself, as well as a plate of hash-browns for his kid.

"So, what did want to tell me?" Peter looks up at Tony, his eyes wide and curious and the man can feel his heart fill with love.

"Are you going on patrol tonight, cucciolo?"

Peter frowns. "Am I allowed to go?"

"Did you finish all of your chores?"

"Yep, I finished them last night while you were in the lab."

"Are you sure?"

Peter nods, face earnest. Tony reaches out and gently flicks a loose curl behind his ear, smiling. "Okay, thanks kiddo. What do you say, tonight after dinner, me and you go out for some father-son crime fighting?"

Peter's eye widen and he grins, punching the air with a fist. "Really? Oh my god, yes! That sounds so awesome, thank you Dad."

High-fiving the offered hand his son puts out, Tony watches as the boy goes back to happily eating, and the man feels his own face split in a smile so wide that it hurts his cheeks.

He can't wait for tonight.