Scream Scream (In The Dead Of Night)

Prompt by @kick-namestake-ass: oh oh oh!!! could you do "You don't have to be scared anymore" ???? love you babes!!!!

___________________

Tony jolts awake just as the first scream pierces the night air.

Peter.

Jumping up, the billionaire takes a split second to grab his gauntlet from his nightstand, pulling it onto his wrist before taking off again. He has just made it out the door and into the darkened hallway when another bloodcurdling scream rips the air in half.

Hitting his shoulder against the far wall in his haste, Tony finally makes it to the source of the sounds, pushing Peter's door open and raising up his now glowing hand.

No one.

There's no one in there besides his son. Looking down at Peter's bed, Tony quickly extinguishes his hand and falls to his knees, reaching out and cupping his boy's face.

Peter flinches back at the touch, his eyes shifting rapidly behind his squeezed shut lids and the genius can feel his heart threaten to break in half. Making soothing sounds in the back of his throat, Tony moves so that he is sitting on the bed, cradling his baby, Peter's face against his chest.

The spiderling's tears soak into Tony's night shirt.

"No." Peter moans, his legs kicking under the covers. "Please, please help me. Help–"

The boy cries out, as though in agony and Tony feels a sob of his own stumble up his throat. Gritting his teeth, the billionaire begins to hum under his breath, rocking both of them back and forth slowly. He wipes away each tear that falls.

"Wake up, il mio piccolo cuore." Tony whispers, "I'm right here, baby, just open your eyes please."

And slowly, one more shrill scream later, Peter finally wakes up with a wet gasp, falling against his dad and sobbing. His chest hitches, his shaking hands fisting into Tony's shirt, wrinkling the fabric.

"D-Dad?" Another sob, Peter's grip tightening. "I-I–"

Tony cuts him off, pressing a series of gentle kisses against his child's forehead and temples. Peter's hair is soft against Tony's fingers and the man smooths back the strands as the spiderling nuzzles closer.

"I know, miele." Tony presses another kiss to Peter's head, shifting the boy closer. "I know, it's okay."

Peter relaxes into his arms, melting like putty as his head thumps against his father's chest. "I was s-so scared, Dad. It was so dark and I-I couldn't get it off me–"

Tony shushes him, bring the hand that was rubbing Peter's back down to grab at the boy's own, tangling their fingers together and setting it on Peter's chest. Though their conjoined hands, the billionaire can feel the steady thumping of his kid's heart.

"You don't have to be scared anymore, buddy. You feel your heartbeat? Focus on that for me, okay? Just focus on that and close your eyes."

Peter's voice crackles, like tin foil. "O-Okay."

Curling his arms even tighter around his son, Tony follows his own advice and closes his eyes, counting each beat of Peter's heart through their hands and listening as the spiderling begins the process of visiting dreamland once more.

Peter only counts to 11 before he is asleep once more, snoring softly and feeling completely safe in his dad's arms.

And Tony?

Tony can barely make it to 12.