Masquerade

Tony's P.O.V.

"Your destination should be on the right, Sir."

"Thank you, Fri." I look to the right.

"Happy to help." She answers as I turn.

The place look smaller than I imagined, but it's still pretty big. I find a space to park my car and sit for a minute.

"Do you think I should go in, Friday?" I ask.

"I don't see why not." The A.I answered.

"You're right. It's just a masquerade party, I doubt anyone will be able to tell that it's me. Plus," I add, "I gotta go support Steve and Bucky. They, of course, have to make a big ball to announce their marrige."

I get out of the car and grab my invitation, which is how I'll even be able to get in.

Before I close the door, Friday speaks up, "Sir, your mask?"

"Oh, right. Thanks." I grab the mask, put it on and close the door.

I take a deep breath. I walk up to the door. The man at the door asks for my invitation, which I gladly show and he lets me in.

I walk in and feel strange.

"Tony?" I jump a little.

"Hmm?" I turn around to see Steve and Bucky, dressed up but without masks, unlike everyone else in the room.

"Wait... How'd you know it was me?" I ask.

Steve chuckles, "Who else would dress as a peacock?"

I chuckle back. "Congrats on the wedding, by the way."

"Thanks, and thank you for coming. I know that these kind of parties aren't your style." Bucky smiles.

"Not really, but for you guys I'll make an exception." I smile back.

"We have other people to greet but, go ahead and enjoy yourself. We have food, drinks, and people. People who, ya know,  you can talk to?" Steve jokes.

I let out a small laugh, "Yeah, maybe I'll try that."

"See you later Tony." The two walk off.

I sigh when they're out of ear-shot. Maybe I should actually try to talk to someone. Instead, I'll get a drink.

I walk through the ballroom, the place is bigger than I excpected it to be. They even have a dancefloor where, you guessed it, people are dancing all fancily. Not my cup of tea.

I see the bar and head that way. Something stops me, me and someone else bump into eachother.

He catches me and suddenly we're in the 'someone fancily catches the other person who they bumped into and were about to fall' cliché.

"I-I'm so sorry." I blabber out.

"Are you okay?" The stranger asks.

All I can do is nod. His eyes stare at me through his mask, which is red and fire-y.

He helps me stand up and I dust off my suit. I look back at the stranger.

"I like you outfit." I blurt, trying to make conversation.

"Thanks, it's uh, based off a pheonix. I like yours, what is it based off of?" I hear his voice, familiar but I can't put my finger on it.

"Peacock." I answer.

A new song starts, classical and enchanting. The stranger smiles.

"Care to dance?" He asks.

In response, I move my left arm up to his shoulder. He gets the idea and moves his right hand to my waist. Our free hands hold eachother and he guides me to the dance floor.

I follow his lead, which is strange, since I usually lead, but I follow anyways. We sway in time with the music. He spins me a couple times, something I don't think I've ever done. I focus on him. His eyes, how his hands feel, rough yet soft. The song's almost over and he dips me. The song stops. People stop dancing. The lights dim all around us.

He brings me back up and we just stare into eachother's eyes. I hear two people talking loudly and shortly after I hear applause. I realize that Steve and Bucky just announced their engagement.

"We should probably clap for them." He reads my mind.

I simply nod and clap, he does the same. When the applause dies down we walk to a less crowded area.

"So, what do I call you?" I ask.

"Haven't figured it out yet?" He chuckles.

I give him a confused look.

"Come on, Tony." He coos.

"Wait, how do you know my name?" I say worried now.

His hands go up to his mask and that's when I see the scars. I finally realize who's behind the mask.

"Stephen? I- I thought that you-" I hug him and try to find the right words.

He chuckles as he hugs me back, "Yeah, I know. But I'm here. I'm here now. I'm safe, we're okay."

"But I watched you and Peter- I'm struggling real bad. I just- I missed you so much." I feel myself starting to cry.

"I missed you too. Everything is going to be okay. Just work hard, don't give up. Peter and I and everyone else is counting on you. You need to get back on Earth." He hugs me closer.

I look up at him, confused. I shake it off as he takes off my mask and leans down. I meet him halfway and we kiss. It feels so good. I don't want this to end.

I jolt awake. I look around me, trying to find Stephen. He's nowhere. I'm still stuck in outer space.

Without Stephen.

I rub my eyes, shaking these thoughts out of my head. That's the second time I've had that dream.

"Everything okay?" Nebula asks.

I look at her. She's working on our project.

"Yeah. Of course." I walk up to her and start working.

"Tony, you should go back to sleep." Nebula offers.

"No."

"You've slept for 3 hours since we've been here."

"Thomas Edison slept for 3 hours each night and look at what he did." I state.

"Who's Thomas Edison?" Nebula asks.

"Someone who died a long time ago on Earth."

I look down sadly, of course she doesn't know who Thomas Edison is. And I doubt she'll try to tell me to go back to sleep again. If Stephen, Peter, Steve, if anybody I actually knew was here, they'd take me to bed. Make sure I'd get sleep. They'd be here to help me.

But they aren't.

I'm alone.

I'm worried.

"And I'm fine."

I'm lying.