Contemplating Pruney Rain

Y/N's jaw was clenched as they exited the modern, clean-cut building. Her assistant scurried alongside her, head down. He knew she'd tell him when she was ready. As they approached the waiting car he hurried forward and opened the door for her.

"Ryung-ssi." Her lips were pursed as she looked out the window at the pouring rain. He could never understand why she liked the rain so much. It was cold and wet and made you feel like you were turning into a prune. Yet it fascinated her, always captured her attention.

"Deh?"

"Cross him off the list."

"Deh." He motioned the driver to get started. "May I ask what happened in your meeting?" Her jaw clenched again and she looked down at her well-cut pants suit. There wasn't anything purposefully alluring about it, per say. It just looked good because...well...she looked good. And she didn't bother hiding it or reflecting on it more than necessary. It just...was. It was like contemplating that the sky was blue. Or, today, gray.

"He wasn't interested in business." Again? Ryung sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. The problem was she may not think on these things but unfortunately, she ran in the circles of men who did. A lot. To her exasperation.

"You have the worst luck, ma'am."

"Deh." She glared out the window. Y/N was tired of men not taking her seriously.

Five Years Ago

Taehyung laughed as he brought the champagne up to his lips. The girl in front of him was not the brightest but she was attractive and the stuff coming out of her mouth was funny. Or maybe that was the champagne...

"Having fun?" Jimin asked, smiling at the girl as he approached.

"Deh, happy birthday. Did you get my present?" Jimin's eyes widened and he gave Taehyung a hug.

"Gomawah, you didn't have to."

"Only the best for my longest friend." Taehyung took another sip and grinned but his smile faded when he looked over Jimin's shoulder, towards the door.

"What is..." Jimin turned too and stopped. This couldn't be good. The assistant to Taehyung's father strode towards the two boys, his face grim.

"Mr. Kim, I have some bad news."

"What is it?" Had someone died?

"It's your father." Taehyung always hated how people with bad news didn't just get straight to the point. They always had to drag it out.

Five years later he could recall the evening with perfect clarity, despite the alcohol. The evening he took over his family's company.

Present Day

Taehyung carelessly tossed yet another folder onto his desk, looking across it at Jimin.

"Next." He groaned as his friend handed him another file.

"That pile looks too high." Namjoon's hand was in his pocket as he closed the door behind him.

"Tell me about it." Taehyung's eyes roamed over the report. He hated this part of his job.

"Is this for the education expansion?" Namjoon leaned against the desk as Taehyung nodded, before sighing and tossing that file too.

"God, I hate this."

"Why don't you ask Jin? His father was always involved when he was in school. Maybe he'll have some different insights." Taehyung sighed and nodded. Jin was busy with his own startup these days and he didn't want to bother him but...Taehyung also didn't want to go through any more files.

"Good idea, hyung. I'll text him."

Half an hour later he had everything he needed, this part of the project suddenly completed. Sometimes his wish to not inconvenience others hurt him in the long run.

"I don't know what I would do without you guys." He said, buzzing for his secretary.

"Probably fail." Jimin teased him.

"I mean it. You guys keep me sane...yes, I need you to make an appointment with a YLN/YN, CEO of HangeukEO Expansions. I'd like to discuss her 2028 proposal and the government funding."

"Yes, sir." The secretary scurried out.

"It's good practice for when we take over for our parents." Namjoon said practically, as the door closed.

"Still..." Ever since his father's accident Taehyung had felt like he was barely staying afloat. One of the youngest CEOs in Korea, maybe even the word, with little experience before he was thrust into the spotlight. He hadn't been supposed to take over, at least for a long time. His interests had always laid in other areas. But for Taehyung family came first. His brother had been too young to take over and he couldn't let his father's hard work crumble before his eyes because of something uncontrollable. He couldn't subject his mother to that.

Sometimes he wondered if he'd have made it this far without his friends.