The Party

"Will you be attending the party, ma'am?" Y/N's attention was on the tablet she was holding up but she glanced at Ryung, almost bored-looking.

"Eh..."

"Networking...contacts...all that..." He prompted. It was his job to be the voice of reason for her.

"Why, so they can all hit on me...again..." She grumbled, redirecting her attention back to the tablet.

"I'll stay by your side the entire time, this time." Ryung had had a family emergency the last time she went and it had been most inopportune. The businessman that time had made it clear in no uncertain terms that he was not interested in Y/N's business, or even her as a person. Y/N had made it clear that she would not allow herself to not be taken seriously. The businessman still had broken ribs. And Ryung really regretted that yet another brick had been laid in the wall she had built up around herself. How could he convince his boss, his friend, that she only hurt herself when again and again she saw it as the only way to protect herself in the man-eat-woman world she ran in? Y/N sighed.

"I guess we'll try again. But I swear to god, I don't care how powerful these men are. If I get cornered again I'm breaking more than ribs and never accepting an invitation again." That was what was most confounding. Despite her reputation she was still expected by these people to grace their social gatherings with her presence. She was enigma. Uncommon. Intriguing. And these bored people, who had everything in the palm of their hands, who could tame anyone with their money, found her untamed spirit mystifying. It drew them in like moths to the flame.

Sometimes Ryung wished she would be more normal, or at least as normal as a foreigner could be here. To do that would be to deny herself but it would make her life a lot easier.

"Did you set up that meeting with Kim Enterprises?" Ryung nodded.

"Great, I guess I have something to look forward to after this party." And with that he was dismissed.

-

If there was one thing Taehyung did still enjoy it was parties, especially ones like this. Sure there was networking, sure there was mingling, but there were enough women paid to be here that more went on. And Taehyung and his friends, as ambitious and loyal to their families as they were, still like getting it on and raising hell like the young men they were. They had to let out the tension and energy somewhere and behind closed doors with those women was the way to do it.

He was scouting out the room, Jimin and Hoseok by his side, looking for his next conquest. The others had already scored. He and his friends were close but they scattered and enjoyed themselves at parties.

"Ah." And Jimin was off with a wink and a smile. Taehyung smirked and brought the glass up to his lips, eyes scanning the room. Then he stopped, glass halfway up to his mouth, frozen. It'd been awhile since he'd attended parties in these circles, these people were more his father's connections. But damn, he'd been missing out...

She was not Korean, or at least not fully Korean. Her hair was short, done a '20s American style, but not with the stereotypical headband. Her outfit was...eye-catching to say the least. She wore a flattering burgundy jumpsuit with a ruched waist and a deep V. It was sleeveless but straps were wide. She was tall for a woman, or maybe that was just the heels? Taehyung was good at judging though and those heels weren't very high. She had a gold clutch and simple gold jewelry. Classic. Her make-up was smokey but not a lot. She didn't need a lot.

He was so busy staring he didn't realize that she'd come with someone at first. A Korean man, not bad-looking but not particularly handsome either. Shit. She was taken. He took a sip of whiskey for a moment and pouted before forcing his eyes away. No good to be caught staring at another man's woman. He should expend his energy on someone who he could conquer.

-

Outwardly Y/N appeared calm and collected. Inwardly, Ryung could tell she wasn't based on how hard she was gripping his arm. She hated these things, he knew. Even if she didn't always feel like she was walking into a lion's den she hated just how...everyone was fake. She could usually see through it and it made her feel tired just watching the energy people put into not being themselves.

"This is pointless." She grumbled, already seeing the hostess making her way towards them. Just another bimbo married for her looks and the ability to plan a party.

"Welcome!" The lady had spent some time in France and proceeded to kiss Y/N's cheeks. Always posturing. Y/N plastered a smile on her face.

"Thank you for having us."

"My husband is currently working through a few last minute things in his office but he'll be pleased to see you!" I'm sure he will, she thought. Last party he'd spent her time there staring at her ass. "Enjoy the party!" Their hostess was off.

"I need a drink."

-

Y/N was now thoroughly buzzed, one of the few things she liked about these parties. It's what got her through them. The dancing was on, the host was staring at her ass, everything was normal. She and Ryung did a couple songs then returned to the bar.

"Should I order in tonight?" Ryung smirked at her. He always teased her about her tastes when alcohol was in his system.

"Nah." She examined her nails. "The last one was...thorough." She winked and laughed.

"Would you like to dance again, m'lady?" Y/N smiled again and put her hand in his, letting him lead her to the dance floor.

Ring, ring. They both frowned as he pulled his cell phone out.

"Sorry, ma'am. I'll answer this real quick." Y/N nodded and let her body sway a little to the music as he walked off the dance floor.