The Function

He heard her take a deep breath and felt her arm slide through his as they walked up the stairs towards the grandly lit entrance. To honor their efforts to spread quality English education through South Korea to the next generation...

When he picked her up and he saw the form-fitting, silky pantsuit that she wore he'd almost wanted to ask her to turn around and change into something else. If he couldn't get enough of her, and he was sleeping with her, would he have to deal with other people doing the same? He had shaken himself. She was her own person. She'd chosen him, yes, but she was not an object. You didn't own people. He'd have to settle for glaring at anyone that gawked too openly.

They were an item. Word had spread quickly. His father bragged to Jin's father. His friends gave him good-natured crap. But it didn't matter. It didn't matter how many times his cheeks flushed and he tried to change the subject. Because she was worth it all. She was worth the gossip and she was worth the special handling required for her special brand of messed-upedness.

As Yoongi had so eloquently pointed out when they'd gathered at his house last night, everyone had flaws. It was just a matter of finding someone who would tolerate them while you worked on them. Would walk with you through your journey of self-discovery. He'd been quick to point out all of Taehyung's flaws, as a reminder to never get too exasperated with Y/N. She was putting up with a lot of shit too.

"You say nice things, Taehyung. But for someone like her, follow-through is important. That's why she trusts you in the first place." He'd looked over his whiskey glass at Taehyung and cocked an eyebrow. "Don't get proud and don't forget it."

"Taehyung-hyung, proud? Never." Jungkook had teased.

"What's it to you?" Taehyung had pouted, wanting to drink, not get a lecture from his hyungs.

"She's good conversation. I'll definitely have a tiny bit of resentment if you cause that to walk out of my life." Yoongi had said, before downing his glass. Taehyung felt like reminding him who was dating who but decided it was better to hold his peace. They had the same goal after all. Him and her being together.

"Are you nervous?" He asked, looking down at her hand on his arm.

"Not that much."

It was boring speeches on behalf of the education department and then he and Y/N had given a speech, talking about how important English education was to the future of South Korea and where they saw this initiative going and all that nice kiss-ass stuff you say at government functions. His deadpanned comments throughout the function definitely drew a couple of playful smacks from Y/N who just wanted him to not say them so damn looooouuuudly.

As the function wound down they found themselves standing out on a balcony, champagne in hand, looking out at the lights of Seoul.

"You did it, Y/N." Her head was resting on his shoulder. She looked up at him. "You got the respect you wanted." She smiled, a satisfied look on her face. "Did you think, when you first moved here, that this would be where you'd end up?" She looked upwards, towards stars that they couldn't see through the dust and haze.

"No. I wanted to make it big but my definition of big was a lot smaller back then."

"So it wasn't me." He teased and she laughed. He loved it when she laughed.

"I've come a long way, Tae-yah. Sometimes it's hard to believe." He kissed her forehead.

"If you ever doubt, let me know. I'll make you believe."