Hoseok's Party

She was nervous. As the car pulled up outside the club, Y/N felt her heart in her throat. She just wasn't used to attending these things without Ryung. And this was worse...because she didn't really know anyone. She had no idea who Taehyung's friends were or who else had been invited. Or if she was even dressed appropriately.

Play it cool, play it cool...

Her car pulled up and the door was opened. The valet gave a slight bow to her as she stepped out. She'd chosen a short black dress, very simple, with simple silver jewelry. Her hair was naturally wavy so all she did was preserve what was already there. And, of course, her heels. She practically lived in them.

She took a deep breath before slowly stepping towards the door. Step. Step. The man at the entrance nodded and asked her name and ID. She briefly closed her eyes as he motioned her inside.

The music was loud and the party was in full swing. She stood for a second, unsure of what to do. This brought her back to her time before Korea. Back when she had been an insecure nobody. Old feelings washed over her. Why?

All she really had to do was put in an appearance and then go. Stay a bit. Try and avoid the men here. She didn't recognize a lot of them, which she thought was weird. She stepped towards the bar and was abruptly cut off by a man in a loose, white-collared shirt and black pants that fit him well in all the right places. He wore a necklace and the top two buttons of his shirt were unbuttoned. He was holding a drink and grinning at her.

"YL/N Y/N?"

"Yes..."

"Hi, it's nice to finally meet you!" He extended his hand and shook hers vigorously.

"Uh...hi..."

"I'm Hoseok. Taehyung's friend." He said helpfully. It clicked.

"Oh, you're the one throwing this party!" He was very energetic, not like a lot of the people that ran in her circles. "I haven't...I'm sorry I didn't know who you were..." He shrugged and took a gulp of his drink.

"I didn't expect you to. I don't really run in the business world."

"Oh? That must be nice." He shrugged.

"It has its benefits." Another gulp. "Congratulations on your deal. I heard you're one tough nut to crack." She smiled a little on the outside but inside....here we go again....

"If that's what you want to call insisting I get treated respectfully then yeah, sure, okay." She was primed to hear things like that in the wrong light. Before Hoseok could reply someone was at Y/N's side.

"That's not what he meant." A familiar deep voice. She looked up. Even with her heels, Taehyung was still taller. He looked down at her and smiled.

"Nope, not at all." Y/N felt herself relax slightly as Taehyung stepped forward and threw his arm over Hoseok's shoulder. "How do you like the party?" Hoseok asked him.

"I think it's complete now that the second guest of honor is here." Taehyung smiled at her again, holding her gaze for a moment. Then he frowned and looked behind her and then behind himself. "Where's...where's your assistant?" He asked, craning his neck to see the dance floor. She felt her anxiety come rushing back.

"He's on leave."

"Who?" Hoseok leaned over to ask Taehyung.

"Her right-hand man."

"Aaah..." Taehyung had never seen that look on Y/N's face before but he didn't like it. "Oh, hey! There's one of my students!" Hoseok, easily distracted and no longer concerned about one of his guests being alone, was off before either Taehyung or Y/N could say anything. They both watched him for a moment then turned back to look at each other.

"Hoseok teaches martial arts." He said by way of explanation. She didn't reply, just nodded. "He invited a lot of his students."

"Why?" Wasn't this supposed to be a party to celebrate a business deal? Taehyung stuck his hand in his pocket.

"Because I didn't want your assistant having to take you home early."

"Oh...thank you." Now the deal was signed. Now they didn't have to see each other. And yet Taehyung had gone out of his way to make sure she'd have nothing to worry about.

"So...if Ryung's not here I'm assuming you don't have a dance partner." Her gaze had drifted off but his voice brought her back. His tone was light but his eyes were dark, searching her face.

"Wha...oh no, I don't. I don't usually dance if he doesn't come with me." He smiled slightly and held his hand out. It was a test, a theory. Something that had just briefly occurred to him.

"Well, if he's on leave...wanna change that? Otherwise it could be a while before you dance again." His tone was teasing but he was still watching. And she was too distracted to notice. She looked at his hand for a moment then hesitatingly placed hers in his.

He led her to the dance floor. Right now it was a fast paced song. He didn't touch her but he watched. She was tense. Jumpy. Tense. He'd never seen her like this. She was always in control. Even at the last party she had been calm and controlled. When he'd apologized she'd been cold and controlled. To the untrained eye she still appeared that way but all those hours working on that deal into the dead of night let him perceive the slight difference.

When the song slowed he decided to take a chance, further test his theory, and get to the bottom of this. Her back was to him and he gently rested his hands on her waist, feeling how tense her muscles were through the fabric of her dress. He kept them high so she wouldn't mistake this for something else. Nevertheless, she went rigid.

He leaned down, putting his lips close to her ear.

"Does Ryung keep you calm at events like this?" She relaxed slightly and nodded, his hands dropped to his side.

"How did you know?" She asked, turning around. "Is it that obvious?" She was worried. Weakness. He shook his head.

"Just to me." He raised an eyebrow, asking for permission before placing his hands on her waist again. She rested her hands on his shoulders. "I'm not Ryung but I can stay, you don't have to worry." She furrowed her brow.

"Why?" He smiled slightly, his theory confirmed. He wanted to laugh, he liked this. Instead he poked her brow with his finger.

"Because you're my friend." There. He'd said it. And everything that meant. She nodded and he felt her relax a little under his other hand.

"If you stay with me how are you going to get laid?" His grin got bigger.

"Jimin and Jungkook are taking care of that for me."

When they were both tired of dancing they sat at the bar and talked. Each of his friends made a point of coming over at one point or another to formally introduce themselves, before returning back to their conquests. The way she thought...how her mind worked...he liked it. She was sharp. Even with alcohol in her system.

She left before he did, he made sure she was in her car safe.

As it drove away he couldn't help but smile to himself. He had figured it out tonight. She thought of them as friends.

And for her he knew that was a big deal. Because it also meant that she trusted him. Her guard was down around him. Because she trusted him. Any other man besides Ryung that had behaved like he had just done tonight would've had marks to regret.

He never wanted her to regret trusting him.