Leaning In the Convenience Store Lights

Y/N flipped the lights in her apartment on as she stepped inside, releasing a deep breath. Kim Taehyung. She looked out the window at the dim motel and convenience store lights. Kim Taehyung.

She'd thought he was nice when he helped her get away from that douche at that one party. Then she'd thought he was just another stupid business man. Then she'd realized that he had some admirable character qualities, the foremost being that he could humble himself if he was wrong. The past couple of months she'd gotten to gradually see a different side to him. He took care of his employees. And conquests. She knew when he'd been busy the night before because when his secretary came in one of the items he put on the to-do list was flowers to be sent. A lot nicer than she was. He kept his distance. She didn't feel like she had to be wary around him anymore.

And now...

At first she'd been slightly pissed because...well damn, that had hurt. Then she'd had a moment of panic when she realized she couldn't get away and was in a vulnerable position. But when she'd fallen...

She felt confused. She hadn't felt panicked right then. She hadn't felt threatened when he grabbed her. She felt...she wasn't sure what she felt. She just knew she'd felt the absence of threat. Something that had become very foreign to her. She chewed her nail.

In that brief second she'd known...she'd just known she was okay. She was safe. She wasn't worried about him pulling anything. She had known he wouldn't. He had been solid. Secure.

She shook her head. She had run to this country because of men. She had climbed this ladder because of men. She was where she was because of men. Or rather...trying to avoid them. Trying to avoid being reliant on them. Yeah, she was reliant on Ryung, but she also paid his salary.

And now one of them didn't make her want to run.

Be careful, that's how they reel you in. A warning to herself. Because she needed it. Because she couldn't get side-tracked from her goals.

But not becoming side-tracked didn't mean being cold-hearted.