Chapter Five: Jared's Confession

Connor's POV

"WAKE UP GAY HOE!!" He heard Zoe yell. "IF YOU AREN'T READY I'M GOING TO LEAVE FOR SCHOOL WITHOUT YOU!!"

"I don't care if I'm laaaaaaate." Connor mumbled through his bed sheets.

"CONNOR FAIST MURPHY GET DOWN HEERE THIS INSTANT!"

Oh great, Larry is getting into the argument. Again.

Connor reluctantly dragged himself downstairs, after about ten minutes of putting on his clothes.

"YOU SON OF A FUCKING BITCH!!" Zoe shouted. "YOU FINISHED THE GOD DAMN FUCKING MILK AGAIN!"

"You literally just called your own father 'fucking bitch', Zo." Connor replied calmly as he sat down the table, making a PB and J sandwich.

Larry slowly lifted his eyes from his newspaper to look at Connor before turning to Zoe.

"That's not what I meant, Mike." Zoe said, sternly, finishing her last bite of dry cereal.

"Don't call me that."

"It's your nickname."

"I don't care, Laura."

"Fuck you."

"I would fuck me too."

"Kids," Cynthia warned. "hurry up and get in the car."

Connor quickly shoved the remaining bits of his sandwich into his mouth before making his way to Zoe's car.

"Lemme drive, Laura." He said. Zoe glared at him before flipping him off and getting in the driver's seat.

Connor sighed and jumped inside. The only good thing of going to school was being able to see Evan.

•••

"Hansen!" Connor called. Evan turned his head around and smiled.

"Are you uh f-free today?" He asked, not knowing why he was so nervous.

Evan nodded. "N-Not until midnight, of c-course." He laughed a little at the end, making Connor's heart flutter.

"Great! Uh-I mean um cool. Meet me at my locker after school?"

"Okay s-sure! Uh-bye! I gotta go t-to class!"

Evan turned on his heels and quickly walked to his first class. Connor smiled and turned around to do the same, before a certain someone stopped him.

"Hey, you." That voice was unmistakably Jared's. "I wanna...talk."

Connor turned his head around slowly and glared at the boy. "Hurry it up then, I have classes to go to." He said, sternly.

"Whatever," Jared shrugged his shoulders. "I just want to talk about Evan. I see the way you look at him, freak. Don't you dare lay a finger on him. He's meant to be mine. So back off."

Connor stared at the boy in surprise. Jared Kleinman, the Jared Kleinman, has a crush on Evan Hansen.

Well isn't that a wonder of wonders, a miracle if miracles.

"You?" Connor asked. "You have a thing for Evan?"

"Shut up. Now stay away from him. Or else I will not hesitate to rip your head off and soak it in venom, melting it off, before chopping it into itty-bitty pieces and feeding it to the wolves, got it?" Jared said with venom in his voice.

Connor hesitated before nodded. Jared smiled side-ways and shoved Connor to get to his class.

Connor took a moment to register what just happened and laughed silently to himself.

You can never keep promises.