Chapter 1

Part 1.

Chapter 1

i.

The frozen air cut across the summit of Mount. Koniv. The snow was light and visibility was high. The Imperial artillery exploded against the mountain summit, chunks of mountain rock were tossed into the air before landing on the advancing Empire infantry climbing the steep climb southward up the mountain. Ahead inside the carefully dug trenches sat the Guards militia, Konokov’s northern most military force.

Bayonets attached, Militia soldiers Berrin and his son Alexi sat aiming their rifles. They waited for the Blue Imperial infantry to walk in front of their muzzles, when they did, they fired. Line after line came forward and man after man fell down. Imperial planes tried to bomb and strafe the summit trenches but the howling winter breeze made flying the slow bi-plane hard to control; several lost control and for other the howling wind ripped their wings apart as they tried to fly against it.

Another line of Imperial soldiers fell to militia rifles, their commander shouted and they climbed up from the trench, the wind tore at them as they crouches. Terrified imperial soldier looked up the see the long line of militia taking aim before firing; their bodies tumbled backwards down the mountain slope. They kept firing, Berrin and his factory comrades cheered Alexi on as he shot down his twenty-third imperial soldier. A soldier pointing a machinegun at the sky shouted and they dove into the trench, the machineguns fired at another foolish imperial plane as it tried to bomb militia lines.

By mid-afternoon the fighting had stopped, the Empire had expending another three-hundred men according to estimated counts of the dead, the militia lost fourteen. Alexi rubbed his hands over the fire inside the trench bunker. His father smiled “ You made us proud today”, other young militia soldier told their youngest comrades this, Alexi was fifteen, young enough to serve the Imperial army and be sent to war to fight men they had no quarrel with. The new laws set in motion by their former Empire masters meant of boys from fifteen with employment had to serve under the Empire for a year. In Konokov, an un-respected and southernmost state of the Empire rejected the new laws as it rejected all, and declared independence. A week later, they were shooting Imperial infantry from the summit of Mount. Koniv.

They woke up the next morning to see shamed Imperial troops strolling north, the revolution had won, Imperial infantry not native to Konokov were being expelled, and those who were native renounced the Empire and enlisted into the Independent Konokovan Army (IKA). Alexi jumped and cheered with his father and their friends as they celebrated independence. The cheering ended soon as a small group of bureaucrats and Politicians’ announced that a new government would be forming and that previously “Banned” political groups would be eligible for representation of individuals or political groups. Within hours the newly formed IKA were guarding the summit looking north; the militia gleefully returned home to celebrate their victory and independence.

Weeks passed as Political groups travelled throughout Konokov to gain support for the election. Various group came to Krenik, Alexi’s home town eight miles from the city of Gruchin. His father and many industrial workers joined the Communist party, whilst a scattered few formed the Freedom Party. Whilst the Party leaders’ spoke their words, each mentioned that all person who fought the revolution from the Summit of Mount. Koniv to the beaches of Bay Marine in the south were eligible to vote. Berrin leaned down to Alexi and advised him to vote for an independent rather than a party as he was not a “politicised” citizen. The night before the election, Berrin announced his vote for the Communist party to his family, Alexi mumbled support for a random independent whose views were generally in the countries favour, to which his father saluted him for “independent” thought and chuckled.

The following morning was rife with anticipation, crowds of people queued to vote, those who fought for the militias were waved on with cheers by other voters as they lined up. Alexi looked at his voting slip, several names under several parties, Alexi looked for a northern independent, hopefully someone whose name he recognised from Gruchin. Berra Mehun; a doctor was fifth on the list, he ticked her name and placed his slip into the box.

That evening Alexi sat in the city hall and watched to votes being tallied; as the results came in, eight of the twelve Communists were elected to the Konokovan council, but none would represent the North itself, two from the Freedom Party, and three independents, Berra Mehun smiled as her name was called but was shocked to find out herself and the other two would jointly represent the North in the Capital Penin. It seemed to be agreed that an “Independent” thinker should represent them.

ii.

A year had gone by and the Empire still kept north of the border, the international community see to have whole heatedly accepted Konokov’s independence and many nation opened up trade links. Berrin however grew nervous, Alexi could see it. Numerous individuals had become distant with many of the industrial workers, member of the Freedom party announced they were moving south closer to Penin. Berrin believed the Bourgeoisie were consolidating themselves near the capital to reap the wealth growing from Penin; but feared most that the growing tide of nationalism would have the nation turn against the Northern states. Alexi himself preferred to remain outside of politics, a decision which his father both enjoyed but found dismay in. at Seventeen, Alexi formally joined the Northern Border Guard force, more commonly called The Guard, rearmed with his “revolution” rifle as his comrades called it, he found himself popular with officer as the son of a revolutionary and as one himself.

Alexi felt odd joining The Guard initially, many members were from the communist party and the force itself formally funded by them. However he discovered upon his completion of training that The Guard had a single moto: “Loyal to Konokov”. It wasn’t long however before he saw his father’s fears come to light; almost two years after the revolution the Royal family returned from exile; the Nationalists celebrated in the streets in the south; in the North however there were none. It wasn’t long before they saw the changes, The Nationalists began a campaign of misinformation, describing the Guard as an illegitimate militia force with intensions to remove the Royal Family.  The Northern States were combined to make the single largest Authority in Konokov, except their electable representatives were limited from nine to three. Berra had been right, they had consolidated their power and seized to nation; knowing they couldn’t march north and remove the Communists or The Guard, they chose to limit their power and voice.

Alexi felt his stomach plummet one summer morning when a train arrived from the South, Berra Mehun departed and looked at his. Her eyes were dull and her smile from three years earlier had gone. “They removed all the independents from power, they selected three Communist’s to represent the North”, she walked along the platform, Alexi followed her. She stopped and turned “Have I…upset you Guardsman?” she asked, Alexi stood shocked. “No Ma’am, I was assigned to escort you home, or wherever you chose to go today”. Berra looked down, “a bodyguard” she looked at him, he nodded. Berra turned a kept walking, Alexi following a few steps behind her. He might have thought she’d talk about her feeling about being removed as a representative, but she didn’t know him. Berra chose to go to a café in Gruchin before heading home. At her door she turned to face Alexi, “Thank you Guardsman” he said. “I voted for you” he responded, she looked at him, he gave a small smile. Berra turned and went into her house.

iii.

Alexi sat on his bed, no rifle or uniform. He wore a black suit; three weeks of compassionate leave from The Guard, his father had passed away, Alexi was seventeen. He’d been informed that as a member of the Revolutionary Militia his father would be getting a full honours military funeral, “It was the least they could do” they said; the precession last an hour as Guardsman slowly marched through Krenik. Standing by his grave, Alexi had no words. His memories were of a happy man, who had often smiled at him, he held his younger sisters hand, Lilya was born a year after the revolution, she barely knew her father. Berra Mehun was the last person to join the mourning and she stood by Alexi’s side to entire time. She didn’t say a word about his lack of tears, she stood there silent.

The only celebration that year was Lilya’s birthday, her forth, Alexi helped his mother as much as possible when he wasn’t on Guardsman duties. Lilya started school that autumn and she often saw him on her way to and from school.

Alexi found himself in awe of this his Northern states, after essentially becoming isolated from the rest of Konokov they remained on guard, for many, the South was just childishly paranoid, they believed if they just looked North, the South would end its charade. Alexi knew they wouldn’t, of all the things he knew. The South would continue to divide a nation for its benefit.