Chapter 4

Chapter 4

i.

Yuri leaned forward “Thank you”, Alexi’s turned to face him “For what?” he seemed apathetic to the Prince. “You fought the revolution didn’t you?” Alexi nodded continuing to read the newspaper. “Then you and many other made it possible to return to Konokov, to safety” Alexi turned and leaned across holding out the newspaper showing the headline Red insurgency continues. Terrorist agent evade authorities. “Apparently not so safe” Alexi’s voice was numb, there was a tense awkwardness before Yuri pushed to newspaper back. “Lies and I know it…many will need convincing, but I’m sure a calm meeting with my Family will help matters”. Alexi tossed the newspaper aside. “I should know about your family first shouldn’t it?”

Seven year old Eleine danced on the grass of the mansions courtyard. Dozens of Federation soldiers were dotted around the grounds many smiled at Eleine as she passed humming. The Queen sat patiently on a bench, Federation special agents flanked her, an empty seat next to her where her husband once sat beside her until four year before. She looked on at the courtyard, Yuri, her eldest sat on a fountain reading. His younger brother Stefan was currently outside in the city with his guards. The Queen felt empty, her homeland was eighty-two mines north across the Federation-Konokov ocean, it separated the two continents, the northern continent was mostly comprised of the Empire, the South East was the Union and to the South East a single sovereign nation of Pavan.

The Mansions garden door opened and Stefan charged in with a grin on his face. “Mother, the president has good news for us” he giggled, the Federations President Grant Paddok walked forward waving Eleine and Yuri over to them. Once they arrived he started. “Eight days ago, the Empire signed into law that all youths above 15 without a job or in education would be conscripted into the Imperial army, hours after it was signed into law. Sixty out of the seventy three Imperial barracks within Konokov suffered catastrophic attacks. Also Militia’s in the North of Konokov successfully held off a seven day assault by the Empire’s army. However I am afraid I cannot let you return home yet” there were cross looked all round from the Royal family “Konokov is delicate at present and my government believes it would be advised for you to remain here until Konokov has a fully elected government and is politically stable”. The President’s words made sense.

After two years of a government run by a “Council of Independents’” Konokov was about to venture into party-based democratic elections. It would be several months until to elections occurred, the independents’ would remain within the Government observing the bureaucracy and running of the country, these independents’ also worked well as an anti-corruption panel. The Queen was told that once the election was completed and the government settled, the Federation would announce the return of Konokov’s biggest sovereign symbol; it would also impound the notion internationally that Konokov was standing on its own two feet again.

The Queen walked through the streets of Lanagan, the Coastal Capital city of the Federation. Whilst she did not wear her Royal attire, everyone in the street gave her a polite amount of rom to walk. Today was another of her wonder trips. She walked freely amongst the Federations citizens as if she were one of them. She had news that elections were being held for the Prime Minister of Konokov. The Communists, The Freedom Party and the Konokov Party; a healthy mix she had thought. Upon her return to the Mansion, she sat and ate her dinner with her family whilst awaiting the election results. She had had concerns about the Konokov Party, she was no major conservative, and worried about the values of the party. Her worried were quelled when her attaché informed her that the Party were Liberal Nationalists, by no means far-right conservative. 

“So Ruben was elected and you returned” Alexi summed up the events of five ago. “Yes, but I’ve never liked him. He seemed too keen to mould my mother’s mind to his thinking, and sadly my brother followed in suit” Yuri spoke glumly. “You know any of Konokov’s history?” Alexi asked. Yuri gave a nod. “Over seventy years ago, Konokov was attacked by the Empire and lost every battle we fought all the way to Ruik, the Royal Family were evacuated by the still now loyal Federation government. My family resided in specially build mansion since; but I prefer living in Konokov. “I bet the palace has many more comforts than the Federations mansion” Yuri met Alexi’s questioning gaze. He was aware he was a pawn in someone plans for Konokov.