5: Personal Space

Kent

I was sitting at my table, nibbling on my lunch, lost in my thoughts. What was Noah doing now? Was he mad for getting suspended because of me? Was he mad at me? Will his father hurt him like mine did whenever I did something wrong? If he had gotten hurt, I could never live with that guilt. I seriously felt how lonely it was without a phone. I was counting the days till I scavenged its price, and just like that it was gone.

I really should be worried about Spyders' threats, but he was the last person on my mind. When my thoughts lingered to him, I took a look at their table. They weren't there.

Next thing I knew, I heard someone placing his tray in front of me, which made me jerk back and look at who's actually sitting with me on my table.

Spyder.

Shock was not even close to describe my manner. He didn't say a word; just placed his tray, and took a seat. When I looked at him, he nodded slightly. Some form of teenage greeting, I guess.

A few moments later, Curly and Sawyer were taking seats too. Curly beside Spyder and Sawyer sat beside me. However, Ruby sat with some other girls on a different table. She was always a busy student.

My sight just shuffled, moving from Spyder to the others, one by one, then repeat.

"Are you okay?" Sawyer chirped. She literally sounded like chirping. How could someone talk with so much happiness in their voice? Couldn't relate.

"Umm, yeah I guess?" I replied sheepishly.

"Spyder has something to say." Curly said and elbowed him lightly. He looked at Curly, who gave a fierce nod in my direction.

"Fine." Spyder said. "I'm sorry for yelling at you yesterday, and sorry for threatening you, it won't happen again." If I was shocked earlier, my mouth dropped open this time.

"You're gonna swallow a fly." Sawyer said before reaching and lifting up my jaw with her finger, closing my mouth.

"It's no big deal I'm used to it." I shrugged and continued eating.

"How can you say that as if it's something normal?" Curly asked. I still had to learn his name but I was too anxious to ask.

"Because it is my normal." I said nonchalantly.

"It shouldn't be anyone's normal" He added.

"Well sorry to burst your bubble of a perfect world, but, for some people this is the normal." I immediately regretted it because I shouldn't be talking to them as if we're long lost friends.They weren't my friends and I only learned their names yesterday. Heck not even all of them.

My last comment seemed to end the convo that was going, and the guys stayed at my table and ate and chatted as if it was nothing. As if they did this every day. As if I had always belonged.

I never belong with anyone, and a stupid lunch break wasn't gonna change that.

"Uh how's Noah doing?" I asked. All three of them looked at me like I was some freak show. Would they fycken stop?

"He's good, he's getting bored, but it's good." Curly said. Spyder remained silent.

"His finger is healing well. It wasn't broken just badly bruised." It tasted like acid: guilt.

"Could you tell him that I'm terribly sorry about what happened?" I didn't even know what I was apologising for. I almost cried because I literally just existed.

"Sure." Curly answered. They didn't have much more to talk because the bell announced the end of the lunch soon after.

"Laters." Sawyer said as she stood up.
"Laters." Curly joined.