39: Destiny

Noah

My parents sat on the couch. My dads could tell I was anxious to tell them something. They could always tell when I had something to say.

Normally, I would be shaking, sweating, and feeling like I'd burst into tears. However, Spyder and Raiken were on each of my side. But, Spyder's parents sat next to my dads, and Raiken's parents sat on the other couch.

Triple the anxiety, triple the scolding.

"First of all, and before anything, you're so grounded until you're married." Dad said.

"As for what being grounded means, it's expansive." The other dad said.

"For starters, no video games." dad added

"No going out." the other dad continued.

"Anything that isn't deemed a school activity is not allowed."

"And you're cleaning the bathroo-"

"Rooms. Plural. The backyard too."

"And the pool."

"And the terrace."

"And I thought my parents were rough, damn." Raiken said. I elbowed him.

When my dads were done, Spyder's parents took over, but they weren't as harsh on him. I figured they shouldn't be, considering Kent was more or less his brother, and related to them in general. Darlene and Spyder's mom were both married to the same guy, possibly at the same time.

Regardless of everything, I could see the worry on everyone's faces. It wasn't a light matter in any way. We were talking about the future of two people. Two people who had their life altered against their will.

Any normal parent wouldn't have believed us, but Raiken's uncle backed us up. He was low key proud that we decided to tell our families the truth instead. We needed their help.

"Go to your room, Noah. You've done more than enough." My dad said with firmness I've never witnessed before. He has never been so mad at me. He had every right to be. I must've broke their trust.

I lied to them and went through what could've gone terribly wrong. How dumb could I be?

Right then, my other dad, Evan, opened his arms. I leaned in and took his hug. He kissed the top of my head and told me everything will be okay. That was all I needed to hear to feel like everything will fall into place, and it'll be alright.

"Call your grandma on your way to your room."

I did as told.

--

I was practicing so well. I didn't miss a ball, didn't fail a task, and was generally killing it. That was until I twisted my ankle so badly that I couldn't even walk.

"Are you hurt, Smurf?" My dad became immediately concerned.

"Don't call me Smurf at school." I said through gritted teeth. "I'm fine, I can walk." I stood up and stepped on my foot. "PAIN." I screamed and fell back to the grass. "This is it. This is how I die."

"This is how you stop the drama and go to the nurse." He said. Thanks for caring, dad. "Gavin, take Noah to the clinic."

Gavin was under my arm in seconds. He took off the weight from my twisted ankle, which helped me walk the distance we needed to reach the clinic.

"I can't not play the final game, Gavin."

"Focus on your injury, the game is just a game."

"No it's not. I was supposed to see Kent at the final game. I need to attend that game, Gavin." I pleaded, though I knew Gavin didn't have a say in who went or didn't go to the Away games. The school board couldn't afford unnecessary expenses by sending out injured players.