17: Notes

Kent

I just wanted to have one good day. Just one normal day where I go to school and have an absolutely boring day, come back home to a basic dinner, and sleep in a squeaky bed.

Instead, I had to go to school, suffer from abuse, and not just a physical one, eat the bare minimum from scraps, and sleep under my bed so dad wouldn't see me at home.

Wonderful.

The sad thing was that I was okay with it to a certain extent. Up until I went to school that cursed day, I was very much content with what I had.

Then the worst thing happened: I was given hope.

I went to my locker to get my books. Upon opening it, a note fell to my feet.

What was written in it brought me to my knees.
It hurt more than any punch dad had laid on me.

I crumpled it and put in my pocket.

I was sick of everyone playing disturbing games with my barely existing mental wellbeing.

Noah had art class before PE. I knew I'd catch him while he switched classes. After English, I practically ran to Arts and waited as everyone slipped out. They took more time to leave because they had to put away their equipment.

I saw him leave with his gym bag slung on his shoulder as usual. His jacket was in my own bag. It felt like it weighed a ton for some reason.

My mind was raging with a spiral of anger at everyone and everything in sight. Yet, I couldn't just yell at random people around school. I had no one to go to, no one to help me, and no one to trust.

I didn't wanna trust anyone.

And the damn note in my pocket made it burn. Sick games.

"We need to talk." I put my hand on Noah's shoulder to stop him.

He abruptly turned with a stern face. Once he realised it was me, his features softened and anger evaporated through his skin.

"You bet we do." He took my hand and rushed through gym doors. He then took us right outside and under the bleachers. "I have a lot of questions."

I sat on the dry brown grass. Sun barely reached under them for it to sustain life. Ironic innuendo since I'm always under them. They gave me a secluded sense of comfort. "Not about me."

"Yes, about you." He countered. "Where have you been sleeping?"

"At home," I said with a sharp pain in my throat. He gave me a difficult look. "In my room," I added. "Under my bed." I was defeated by the way he pierced my soul with his innocent eyes. His lower lashes were longer than anyone's I've ever seen, and they gave his eyes the feeling of a safe shelter.

He didn't reply. He straight up took me in his arms and hugged me for a lengthy minute. I was the one going through the trouble, yet it seemed like he was the one suffering.

I took the beatings but he took the pain.

Seeing that he wasn't gonna let go anytime soon, I hugged him back. He squeezed harder. And then we were lying on the dry grass, looking through the spaces that separated the seats.

"I wouldn't mind sleeping here with you." He said. He radiated pure energy.

"I wouldn't mind either."

"What did you want to talk about?" He suddenly realised. For some reason, I didn't wanna talk about anything. I just wanted this peaceful moment to last.

The note in my pocket tugged at me. If anyone was going to help me, it was Noah.

He noticed my silence and looked at me. I could've sworn he was gonna cry. He hugged me again, and then, I became the one worried about him. "I'm okay." I said.

I was not.

"No you're not." He spoke my thoughts.

"No I'm not."

He broke the hug and wiped a stray tear from my face. "You'll be okay, Kent. You'll be okay."

I took out the paper from my pocket and gave it to him. "I found this in my locker this morning. I don't know if it's true or not, or if it's legit, but it's fucking me up more than I already am."

Noah sat properly, examined the note intently, then put it in his pocket and stormed off. His bag remained on the grass next to me. I pulled out the jacket he gave me from my own bag, along with a pen and a piece of paper.

I wrote my own note, put it in the jacket, and placed the jacket neatly in his bag.

I left school before the last bell struck.

A/N: I know it's a very late chapter, but I've been too busy advertising Roommates, my first published book on Amazon, and it's been really hard trying to get it recognised. If anyone knows anyway to help that'll be appreciated a lot.

I hope you enjoyed the chapter. If you did, leave a vote and a comment, I wanna know what you think.

More very soon.

Ramadan Mubarak to all who celebrate ♡ ♡