chapter two

~*~
TWO - 1992, Paris.

          "CAN I GET a coffee, but instead of coffee, whisky, and instead of sugar, more whisky?" His raspy voice hollered as he strutted through the light doors of the humble Café as though he owned the building. Which, of course, with his cocky Slash façade, wasn't entirely hard to compose.

He heard the voice before he saw the owner and it raised his eyebrow, stretching a gentle grin onto his lips. "You want cream with that, curls?" And then a perky, smirking, and slightly tanned girl bobbed into view, her strikingly dark green hair shimmering within the sunlight's gleam. He raised his eyebrows and glanced over her unusual attire, noticing the silk brown shirt and leather pants with the boots that seemed way too big for her petite body.

"Please." He smiled, nodding his head once. The Café was calm, the tables small and round with detailed engraving within the frame of the chairs, paintings etched on canvases around the walls. He pushed up the sunglasses, intending to grasp a deeper look at the surrounding room; it was so contrastingly different to anything he'd seen in L.A. And he could only presume that there'd be several dotted along the streets if he were to wander just a little bit farther.

Saul rested his palms against the cooling marble surface, chest facing the counter but head turned to marvel in the abnormality the dim lights and cream walls and soft chatter brought him. He couldn't quite decide if he liked it or not. And then he traced back to his earlier decision and felt relieved that he hadn't invited any of the band; they'd ruin the tender air with their outgoing and adrenaline riddled, intoxicated, mouths.

The loud sound of some sort of machine, producing plenty of light grey, warm, steam startled Saul into facing where the green-haired girl hummed quietly, using the correct equipment in an almost fascinating way. Saul had never met a girl with hair like hers, so luscious looking and sea green.

"You smell like roses." The girl blurted, confidently, with a curious smile spread onto her teeth. She placed the large, roasting, mug of Whisky before Saul who frowned confusedly, but remained silent nonetheless as she swirled a large squirt of whipped cream on top, spraying a lump of the substance onto her tongue before placing back on the cap and sliding it away. "Or maybe orchids."

Saul sipped at the warm drink and grinned; it tasted fantastic. Like a hot chocolate on a snowy day, tingling his alcoholic taste buds with that familiar tang and fuzz of the lips. "The soap was pink, so you take a guess." He shrugged.

"Pink, huh?" She leaned on her left leg and glanced up at the plain white ceiling with her mind wracking for some sort of flower that his scent resembled. She found it to be strongly mixed with the pong of cigarettes and slight body odor, but other than that the strength of the roses really shone through. "Definitely roses." She confirmed, taking one last whiff and smiling kindly.

"Right." Saul scoffed. "'Cause that's what every dude wants to hear."

"Of course it is." She joked. "What, is your ego wounded, tough guy?" Perhaps it would be considered a flirting technique to the blinded eye, but in truth, Aveline was an overall outgoing, happy-go-lucky, teasing girl with no intentions of a romantic interest. Not that Saul was ready for anything of that sort yet, anyway.

"Hugely." He said, clutching his chest in mock hurt. She rolled her eyes playfully and cashed up his order, recalling it for him to hand over the correct change. His curls and the sunglasses seemed all to familiar for her not to feel a sense of knowing around him, but she couldn't quite place her finger on it.