chapter twenty-five

~*~
TWENTY-FIVE - 1992, London.
Day Two ; An Encounter of the Watery Kinds, pt II.

THE HOTEL WAS blissfully warm, the curtains drawn as the darkness enveloped the illuminating and crackling TV, Aveline's favorite movie thrown into the VHS player, rewound to the moment the adverts ended, with a euphoric and mouthwatering order of Chinese Takeaway sprawled upon the short-legged coffee table. Saul's curls were wrapped securely within the hotels special, toasty, white towel, propped up to rest facing backward upon his head, Aveline's spread out around her shoulders as she sipped on her mug of scalding British tea.

The Blues Brothers introductory scene wound itself displayed upon the screen as Saul placed his feet to straddle Aveline's lap, tucking into his order of barbecue ribs and special fried rice, sipping at the Carlsberg beer every so often. "I've never seen this movie before." He stated, mouth filled with rib and rice and a few peas and pork.

She grinned bemusedly, swallowing the mouthful of chicken-ball, "It's funny." She stated, taking a sip from her mug of tea. "I think you'll like it."

"I'm more of a horror kinda guy." He shrugged nonchalantly, wiping his sticky lips with the back of his hand.

Nodding her head, Aveline draped her arms upon his shins and responded with a lighthearted tone. "I get that." She shrugged, "Horror's pretty good, too. We could watch one of your movies, after."

"Okay." He agreed.

They continued to tuck into their food, devouring it fairly messily, and sipping upon beer cans and a few mugs of tea, The Blues Brothers playing on in the background as they spoke mindlessly with words they didn't entirely understand the context of. But they enjoyed each others company - and that was enough to keep them going.

Suddenly, the Hotel door swung open, both Saul and Aveline snapping their heads over to the culprit as Steven sauntered on in, distractedly flicking on the main light, before dropping his gaze upon the two and pausing in his tracks. An amused smile spread upon his cheeks as he shook his head and crossed his arms over his chest, one eyebrow raised. "You guys newly married or some shit?" He scoffed, motioning toward their messy mouths and the towels, and Saul's bare feet rested upon her lap. "God, would ya take a look at it?" He offered, laughing. There was nobody else he could have asked, but Saul blushed embarrassedly nonetheless, dropping his half eaten rib back into the container it came in.

"Heya, Steve." Aveline smiled, the corners of her eyes crinkling as she did so.

"Hi, Aveline." He chuckled, "Nice sauce tash." He commented, motioning toward the Sweet N' Sour, bright orange, line above her upper lip. Aveline frowned confusedly as Saul let out a rumble of laughter, tilting her chin to face him with a soft touch, wiping it away kindly. Or, at least, he attempted to.

But having forgotten all about the barbecue upon the tips of his fingers, she then had a brown colored beard and smear of it under her nose. He let out another round of unexpected laughter, throwing his head back as he did so, pointing at her expression of up most confusion for Steven to join his snickers.

Steve smirked bemusedly and shook his head, backtracking his steps and re-opening the hotel door, "I'll catch you lovebirds later," He grinned, "Have fun on your little date."

Saul continued to giggle as Aveline waved him a quick goodbye, dipping her hand into the pot of the bright amber sauce, slathering it all over Saul's cheek and his nose as he yelped with another laugh, holding her loaded wrist as though it were the barrel of a water gun, shaking his head. "That's not fair." He snickered. "I did it by accident."