New school, New rumours

As Monday rolled around I was honestly glad that school was starting. I was tired of lying on my bed and stuffing my face with food. Sure I went out sometimes with Jenna and Noah but they were both busy too. Jenna has her job and god knows what Noah was doing. I got the feeling that he wasn't ready to tell me just yet.

I got out of bed at six thirty and went out for a jog to clear my head. When I got back I found my mom in the kitchen, humming to herself. I placed my phone on the counter with a thud, which caught my mom's attention.

"Hey sweetie, how was your jog?"

"I feel relaxed. You should go out sometimes too you know. It's good for your health."

"The outdoors and I don't have a very good relationship" she laughed it off.

Sometimes I wondered how I got such a wonderful mother. Honestly, I felt guilty for all the times I complained that I didn't have a best friend. I always forgot about the one person that mattered the most.

My mom got pregnant when she was in college. She had been dating my dad only for a few weeks when she found out about me. The second he got to know, he abandoned my mother to fend for herself. He had never bothered to contact me or mother ever after. I was happy that this was the case. Anyone who left my mother when she needed help the most would never be in my good books.

Despite the absence of a father figure, my mother was determined to give me a normal childhood. I spent a lot of time with my grandparents but the moment my mom got off from work and completed all her studies she would make time for me no matter how tired she was.

Over the years my mother and I got closer. Our constant movement meant that we couldn't really keep in touch with many relatives and that left us with only each other.

My mom places some pancakes in front of me and this distracted me from the thoughts running through my head. She sat across from me with her own stack.

"Did you make any new friends? Are the people here nice?"

I launched into a long explanation of how I met Jenna and Noah. She listened with interest until I had to go get ready for school.

"Call me if you need anything," she said before disappearing into her room.

I went on to get ready. I took a warm and long shower leisurely. After that, I stood in front of my cupboard contemplating on what to wear. I chose a plain pink shirt and paired it with some jeans. I didn't want to look out of place or draw any attention to myself. I didn't believe in wearing make-up to school so I just put on some lip balm and braided my hair to one side.

I stepped outside just as I saw Jenna's cat pull into the driveway. Noah was seated in the passenger seat and I got in the back.

"Nice outfit choice" Jenna complimented. "You will blend in but don't look underdressed"

"Excited for the new year eh, newbie?"

"Jen, does he have to be here?" I asked and proceeded to address Noah, "Also when are these weird names gonna stop?"

"Never" he grinned.

For the rest of the ride we didn't talk much, completely engrossed in the music. When we reached school I followed the two best friends into the main building. When people saw Noah they started whispering amongst each other. I saw Jenna's finger slowly wrap around Noah's hand and I followed her lead, taking his other hand in my palm.

High school rumours were the worst and god knows what joy people got out of it. It was pretty pointless. I mean what's the point of hurting other people?

The two of them walked me to the the office to get my schedule after which they walked me to my locker. I had the the the first period with Jenna and I could not express in words the amount of gratitude I felt for the person who assigned me to this class.

The rest of the day went by and I made a few acquaintances. It was lunch and i couldn't wait to get back into my safe zone, amongst Noah and Jenna. The moment I walked into the cafeteria a hush fell over the whole room. Noah walked in right behind me and I turned to face him.

Before I could say anything to Noah he pulled me into the corridor and pushed me to the closest janitor's closet.

Oh god. What was he up to now?