Chapter Two: Secret Life

--Mia--

"MIA!" I heard the drunken voice of my so-called 'father' yell "MIA LOUISE PROWERS!" Even though I was a block away from my home-if you could even call it that-I could hear him calling out my name. He'd found it again; the vodka that I always had to hide from him. It was times like these when I wished I had a normal life like anyone else. I wished my dad could go to rehab and get a job. I wished that I didn't have to live in such a dirty, gross part of Raima.

I took a deep breath and stood in front of a run-down three story building with an ash-covered door. As I opened it, I felt my dread begin to grow with each step of ascending the stairs up towards the third floor apartment. The place where I lived. I opened the door ever so carefully to be met by the sight of my dad curled up in the fetal position with blankets covering his body; clutching the vodka in his large, meaty hands like a baby would a bottle. I tried to sneak past him and into my room without him noticing, but I had no such luck.

I didn't even look behind me as my dad slurred "Where in God's name were you, Mia?!"

"School." I answered quietly. I only go there every day. I thought to myself ruefully. If you were any real father you'd know that.

I heard him get to his feet and snarl, "Don't you give me that kind of attitude, young lady!"

Nothing came from my mouth in response. I knew that if I said anything back, my dad would only get angrier. Instead, I retreated to my room and picked up my suitcase. My mother would be here soon to pick me up. Then I wouldn't have to deal with this drunkard for a whole month. It wasn't perfect, but at least I'd get a break from this abuse.

As I came out the door, I saw my dad standing no less than five feet away from me; his entire body tensed up like he was getting ready to fight "You traitor! You'd leave your own father to be with that crazy woman?!"

I kept quiet.

"ANSWER ME, MIA!" He roared

"That woman is my mother." I answered calmly "By law and court order, I have to spend alternating months between the two of you."

"Screw the law." My dad growled "You need me. That woman can't provide for you like I can."

I grimaced as he took a swig of his vodka. I loved my dad, but it killed me to see him like this. I was perfectly fine with my mom. If anything, she could take care of me at least fifteen times better than he could; my father was the one that needed me. My mother was far more financially stable than him, so if anything she deserved full custody over me.

I said nothing and walked out the door before my dad shouted one last "TRAITOR!" at the top of his drunken lungs. I was glad beyond words to be out of there. I was already depressed when I was there alone, but my mom would always be my shoulder to cry on. I smiled as I looked down the street and saw mom in her car with the most joyful of grins plastered on her face.

People say I look a lot like my mom, and it's true. I have her frizzy brown hair, umber skin and chocolate brown eyes. My mom was my one true role model in my crazy life; the one person I could look up to when I had tough times with my dad. In spite of coming from a poor family, she was able to work hard and get a PhD in genetics to achieve her dream. Although I want to be a doctor, in every other sense I want to be just like my mom.

I laughed and ran to the car, hopping in the passenger seat to be tickled playfully and repeatedly attacked by kisses all over my face. She pulled away and giggled "Mia, I've missed you so much!" She looked me up and down "Have you grown?"

"A whole two and a half inches!" I affirmed happily

Mom chuckled "So where does that bring you up to now?"