Chapter Three: Positive Spirit

--Seth--

I woke up to the repetitive and annoying sound of my alarm clock beeping like the idiot it was. Groggily, I smacked my hand on the snooze button and tried to get out of bed. As I tried to stand up, I ended up rolling off my bed and smacking into the floor. Nice one, Seth.

Lifting myself up to my feet and off the floor, I slipped on some pants and a shirt. I then made my way to the bathroom; brushing my teeth and hair until it looked reasonably okay. There. That was okay for now.

Running downstairs and jumping the entire second flight, I did a backflip and landed perfectly on my feet. Victory! I then ran to the table and picked up a ripe red apple. As I bit into it, the sweet and juicy flavor caressed my tastebuds and slid down my throat. Nothing was better than natural, greenhouse-grown fruit.

"Mornin' to ya, Sethford." A familiar red-headed face walked into the kitchen.

I sighed, "Danny, how many times have I told you that I just want to be called 'Seth'? When you call me 'Sethford', it makes me sound old. Like fifty."

Danny was my dad, although he never really liked to be called that. From the earliest memories that I have, I can remember him pushing me just to call him 'Danny'.

Danny was a very big guy--both physically and egotistically. He was six feet and four inches of pure muscle with a loud and thick Irish accent to match his boisterous and jovial personality. He'd served in the Mutant Corps when he was younger and lost his left arm. He wears a prosthetic now, but you'd never be able to tell. I didn't even know until last year on my ninth birthday when he had to take it off for cleaning.

"Well, I'm the adult in this house, so I can call you whatever I want." He threw back his head and let out an obnoxious chortle, slapping his knee hysterically.

I raised an eyebrow. "Really, Danny? It wasn't even that funny..."

"Of course t'was, ma boy. We Tymberlee men are quite known for our great sense of humor." Danny justified.

I sighed and took another bite of my apple "If you say so, old man."

"You bet yer lucky stars it's so." He exclaimed, thumping his prosthetic arm on the counter so hard that it shook. "I only speak the truth!"

I was going to say more, but I decided against it. It wasn't wise to get in a fight with Danny. He was too much of a sore loser and would do anything to win. Also, the last guy that called him a liar was in the hospital with two broken legs for a month.

"Okay, you're right." I surrendered, throwing my hands up in the air.

"O'course I am." Danny said haughtily, putting a triumphant smirk on his face.

I took one last bite of my apple before asking, "Do I get to help out with the harvest today?"

Danny nodded "Aye. Just throw yer core in the compost bin on the way out, alright, laddie?"

I nodded and couldn't help but chuckle. As we began to walk out the door, I quickly opened the lid of the familiar tin can and threw my waste in there before I could smell anything. Danny signaled for me to hurry up, so I jumped and did backflips in succession until I caught up right beside him.

"Yer quite the athlete for a ten year old." Danny praised

I nodded and dashed to the greenhouse, typing in the password (my birthday--0628); making the door slide open. I ran in and took a deep breath. Danny took real pride and care of his greenhouse. He even had it designed to look like a rainbow of assorted fruits and vegetables. Happily, I picked up a basket and waited until Danny came through the door with a big grin on his face.