Chapter Five: 'R' is For Rebel

--Blake--

Pain shot throughout my entire body as I slammed into the wall. I slumped to the ground like a rag doll, every part in my body refusing to work. Lifted by my collar, I was forced to look into the face of none other than my attacker; idiot, jerk and all-around bully, Kevin Striker. To make matters worse, this was all occurring on the playground of my school; no one here except the staff inside.

His chapped lips parted in a hideous grin to reveal the four front teeth that were missing, "Well, well, if it ain't Snake Sparks. What'cha doing? Crawlin' back home to your mommy?"

I grit my teeth. Kevin had been like this all week; ever since I beat him in that street fight last Monday. I was able to get fifty notes out of him, but now I was really starting to regret my poor life choice.

"You can say whatever the hell you please about me, but I will personally kick your butt if you diss my family." I sneered at him, "Then it'll be you crying for your mommy."

He chuckled. "You know, Snake, for someone so small, you have quite the mouth."

I smirked, "I wouldn't be talkin', Kevin. You're only five foot three, a full eight inches shorter than I am." I threw my head back and laughed, "You've really gotta stop talkin' about yourself like that. It's quite depressing to see you beating yourself up like that."

He snarled, his upper lip twitching crazily, "Why, you..."

I lifted my arm and punched him straight across the face, sending another one of his teeth flying out of his mouth along with some blood. He let me go and I stood back up on my own two feet again, "How 'bout we place another bet? If we fight and I win, you hand over another thirty notes and leave me alone. If I lose, you can diss me all you want and I can't do anything about it. No exceptions."

Kevin grinned, the new hole in his mouth already stained scarlet with blood, "You're talkin' my language!"
I smirked to myself. If there was one thing I knew about guys like Kevin, it was that they had nasty habits of accepting any bet that had a nice prize on their part.

He got up to face me, then dashed at me with all the force he had. I sidestepped and Kevin collided with the wall, falling down like I did. He looked over his shoulder and snarled at me maliciously. I smiled back and watched as he stumbled back to his feet. Kevin tried to throw a punch at me, but I caught it and twisted his arm abruptly, causing him to scream out in pain. I kicked him in the gut, but it wasn't long after until he had recovered enough to throw another punch at my eye. This time, there wasn't enough time to block his attack and I staggered back as I felt the forceful impact land on my face.

"Aw...what's the matter?" Kevin cooed with false sympathy, "Now Snake's going to have the face to match his stupidity."

That made me furious. I was sick and tired of Kevin treating everybody like trash and thinking it was okay to bring up personal issues to their faces. It wasn't. I staggered to my feet and opened my eye even though it hurt, "You know what, Smellin'? I've had just about enough of you." I swung my fist at him, but he caught it. I tried punching him with the other hand, but he caught that attack as well. We stood there pushing against one another with equal force, neither of us budging in the slightest.

"Nice try, Snake, but you ain't foolin' me." Kevin sneered, his rancid onion-breath making my eyes water as he blew in my face.

"What the hell do you mean?" I asked him through grit teeth.

"You ain't tough at all. You're just a scared little nobody." Kevin mocked, smiling with that arrogance that I detested ever so much, "Your parents are out of a job, so you're left to come up with the money, and I bet every extra bit goes to helpin' your dad. Man, you're such a loser!"