Chapter Six: An Unexpected First Love

--Eli--

As soon as I had come down the stairs, I was immediately tackled by three little kids that clung to my legs like Velcro. Two girls and a boy; half my siblings. And I couldn't be happier.

"Cheska, that's enough." I warned her, ruffling her pigtails, "Keito, Mari, you're going to rip my pant legs!"

This was a normal day in my life; me being Elias Kevin Greene. I'm sixteen years old and the middle child in my family of seven, and today I was getting ready for my job at the library. I'd been working there for about a month now, but somehow my three-year old twin siblings Keito and Mari couldn't quite understand why I kept leaving every other day at two in the afternoon.

"Eli, where you going?" Keito asked, a giant grin on his face.

"To work." I answered, gently prying the little tank of a toddler and his sister off of my leg.

"Where's work?" Mari asked, cocking her little brunette head.

"It's just across the street." I replied quickly.

Cheska began to whine, "Eli, I don't want you to go! You're my favorite brother! Plus, when Saph babysits she locks us in our rooms while she talks to her boyfriend."

I raised an eyebrow, "You mean Oliver?"

"Yeah!" Cheska affirmed with her typical attitude, nuzzling into my leg even though she was too old for it, "Please? If you go, it'll be torture!"

I pried her off as well and kneeled down so I stood at her height, "Ches, you're twelve. By mom's rule you've got to listen to Saph. I'll be back by six."

Cheska huffed and crossed her arms, "How can that stuck-up girly girl be your twin sister, anyways?"
I laughed and kissed her forehead, "I don't know, but I'll see you soon."

I stood up and walked into the kitchen where my sister, Sapphire, was touching up her makeup and my brothers Hunter and Nathan were throwing a football back and forth over her head. I walked up and tapped Saph on the shoulder, causing her to look behind her with a raised eyebrow and the ever-so judgemental look she was known for.

"What do you want?" She sneered, flipping her jet black hair over her shoulder; her name-worthy eyes filled with annoyance.

"Love you too, Saph." I muttered under my breath, "Anyways, um, I..." I scratched my head and swallowed the lump that was starting to form in my throat, "I wanted to...you'd consider yourself an expert on girls, right?"

Suddenly, everything in the house came screeching to a halt. Nathan held his football at a weird angle and Hunter stopped whooping at the top of his lungs. Saph's eyes widened in surprise and she dropped the tube of red lipstick that she'd been using. Even Cheska and the younger twins shut up completely.

"What," Saph asked, looking me up and down like I was a five headed monster that had just crawled out of the Black Lagoon, "Did you just ask?"

"Did you seriously just ask about girls?" Hunter asked, more confused than usual.

Nathan smirked and leaned on the counter, wiggling his blonde eyebrows and smirking, "I guess we all know what this means!"