Mating Season (An original chapter)

Eli's POV

I'd woken up partially to my alarm clock and partially to thee sound of an ear-splitting scream coming from Seira's room. Deciding to check it out, I pulled an old tank top over my bare chest and put some gym shorts over my boxers. I walked around the corner, surprised to see Seira's door already open. Even from ten feet away, my jackal ears were greeted by a cacophony of yelling.

"Seth, please come out from under my bed." Seira begged

"No!" he screamed "If I come out, the Babadook's going to get me!"

I heard Mia face-palm "I told you that Seth was too young to watch a horror movie marathon! That stuff probably scarred him for life!"

"In my defense, he was okay until the Babadook." Blake stated

"Now's not the time for blaming each other." Ravenna said coolly "We've got to find a way to reassure Swinger that the Babadook's not coming for him."

Now was the time for the hero to make his appearance "Somebody call?" I asked, knocking on the door frame

Seira's initial look of worry was replaced with one of relief and happiness "I never thought I'd say this, but thank god you're here, Eli. Blake let Swinger watch scary movies, and now he won't come out from under my bed. Can you help?"

I nodded "I have two little sisters back at home, so I have to deal with this more than you'd think. I can do one of two things: Move him, or show him his fear's illogical."

Seira gave me a blank stare.

I nodded "Okay, then. You guys just need to leave the room and then I can work my magic."

"But--" Seira protested

"Trust me." I said, looking her in the eyes and grabbing her shoulders. After a while, she nodded and signaled for everyone to leave. I sighed and looked under the bed "Hey, Swinger."

"H-Hi, F-Fang." He stuttered. I could just barely see his outline, and he was curled up in the fetal position

I smiled "The Babadook, huh? Believe it or not, that movie used to scare me, too."

I saw his little head poke up "Really?"

"Really." I confirmed "But do you want to know how I got over it?"

"How?" He asked between sniffles

"I watched make-up tutorials on movie monsters, and you know what? Most of those scary horns and sharp teeth are just foam and plastic." I said matter-of-factly "Those movie monsters that scare you can't hurt you. They're not real."

Swinger poked his head out from under the bed, his cheeks wet with tears and his green eyes bloodshot. Sometimes it was hard to remember he was the youngest on the team at ten years old. He gave me a thumbs-up and crawled out.

"Better?" I asked

He nodded and walked out of the door, greeted by four relieved faces. Swinger ran off to his room and I walked into mine, turning my alarm clock off. I picked up my personal copy of Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment. Normally I could completely delve into a book no matter where I was, but for some reason, I couldn't focus. My mind kept drifting back to Seira.

Everything about her was perfect, from her ivory skin to her snow white tail, ears and hair. I might have just been me, but something seemed especially irresistable about her today. Maybe it was how hot she looked in a sports bra and shorts, or how she looked genuinely happy to see me, or--

No. I couldn't think like that. Seira was our leader, and I couldn't have her all to myself. But...I wanted her. I wanted to call her mine. She could be my mate. Okay, where did that come from? I needed to stop.

I was jolted out of my trance by a knock on my door.

I sighed. It's not like it could get any worse from here "Come in."

I realized my mistake as soon as the door opened. Crap. It was Seira. Not that I didn't mind seeing that sexy...no. Keep it cool.

"What's up?" I asked, trying to hide my awkwardness.

Seira flashed a tiny smile "I just wanted to say, uh, thanks for what you did. Whatever you said to Swinger got him completely out of that funk of his. You kind of saved the day."

"No problem." I said, trying not to make eye contact with her

Seira looked kind of hurt. She walked towards me slowly, her face getting a darker shade of red with each step "Don't take this the wrong way." She warned as she leaned in and kissed my forehead. She really couldn't have done anything worse at that moment.

I grabbed her face and planted my lips on top of hers. I know this kind of sounds wrong, but that was one of the most amazing moments in my life. I pulled away to see Seira's face completely red and her mouth open. It sunk in what I had just done. I got up and hid my face in my hands "Sorry. You must hate me now."

I felt Seira's hands over mine, slowly removing them from my eyes. She still looked a little confused, but that look was soon replaced with one of happiness "Don't tease me."

I took her face again and kissed her with all the passion I could offer her, feeling her soft lips moving in sync with mine. I wrapped my arms around her waist and she wrapped hers around my neck. Before I knew what I was doing, I slipped my tongue into her mouth. She returned the motion and we continued like that until we had to separate for air.

"You're a good kisser." Seira said between breaths

I felt a small moan escape my lips "God, Seira, why do you have to be so sexy?"

Seira hung her head down "I'm not sexy. Or beautiful or anything like that."

I picked her up and laid her on my bed "Yes, you are."

Seira sighed "No. I'm not."

I laid beside her and made sure she was facing me "Yes. You are. I've never met anyone like you before. You're smart, kind, gorgeous, and an amazing leader." I reassured her, lacing my fingers through hers "You're perfect, and I wouldn't change anything about you."

Seira looked away "You're just saying that."

I kissed her one last time and made her look me in the eyes "Whatever anyone's said about you before, it's not true. The only things that should matter is what I say about you. Nothing else. And I'm telling you that you are by far the most amazing person I've ever met."

Seira grabbed handfuls of my shirt and buried her face into my chest "I love you, Eli."

I stroked her ears and whispered "I love you, too."

After a few minutes, I could barely hear the message over the loudspeaker

"WARNING: YOUR HORMONES MAY BE GOING WILD! ITS MATING SEASON. PLEASE REFRAIN FROM ANY SEXUAL DESIRES."

I smirked. I wasn't ready to do anything like that with Seira. Not for a while.

Okay, so you may be wondering why I'm bringing this back...well I love this damn chapter and its going to stay up until I rewrite it. You're welcome!

Signing Off, Kiera Savage